I've just installed Red hat 8.0, and although python 2.2.1 comes with
it, i cannot use anything which uses the Tkinter library (this includes
IDLE). I a few other packages work, and the interpreter runs fine. I
suppose that this might be due to the setup, but I cannot figure it out.
Could it be that Tkinter module does not come with the python
distribution which came with Red Hat 8.0? I read that it should, but I
searched my whole computer for anything with ?tk? in the name with no luck.

I downloaded the rpm's for the python 2.2.2 (from www.python.org) but
simple "rpm -i" or "rpm -U" installing gives me errors; conflicts with
the currently installed version. I am not quite sure whether I should
try uninstalling what is there now because I've read that the a few
programs need it to run.

Any suggestions? Also if anyone knows of a webpage listing the
step-by-step instructions on how to install/uninstall/upgrade the python
distribution, please reply. I have read the info provided on
www.python.org, but it is not detailed enough for me.

Thanks
Peter

Search Discussions

  • Peter at Apr 20, 2003 at 3:45 am
    Aghh sorry for spamming but perhaps I was not clear enough in what I am
    asking:

    - I would like to use the Tkinter library.

    - Would like to know whether it is safe to unistall the current version
    of python which came with RedHat (and possibly how to go about doint it)

    - Detailed instructions on how to install a newer version (a link to a
    webpage would be great)

    Thanks again
    Peter

    Peter wrote:
[...]

  • Dave Reed at Apr 20, 2003 at 4:05 am

    I've just installed Red hat 8.0, and although python 2.2.1 comes with
    it, i cannot use anything which uses the Tkinter library (this includes
    IDLE). I a few other packages work, and the interpreter runs fine. I
    suppose that this might be due to the setup, but I cannot figure it out.
    Could it be that Tkinter module does not come with the python
    distribution which came with Red Hat 8.0? I read that it should, but I
    searched my whole computer for anything with ?tk? in the name with no
    luck.

    It's on one of the CDs - install the tkinter-2.2.1-17 rpm file.

    I downloaded the rpm's for the python 2.2.2 (from www.python.org) but
    simple "rpm -i" or "rpm -U" installing gives me errors; conflicts with
    the currently installed version. I am not quite sure whether I should
    try uninstalling what is there now because I've read that the a few
    programs need it to run.

    Any suggestions? Also if anyone knows of a webpage listing the
    step-by-step instructions on how to install/uninstall/upgrade the python
    distribution, please reply. I have read the info provided on
    www.python.org, but it is not detailed enough for me.
    If you just want Tkinter, install the above mentioned RPM rather than
    going to the trouble of upgrading.

    Dave
  • Mike C. Fletcher at Apr 20, 2003 at 5:11 am
    You could also try the libraries/python group on rpmfind.net

    http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/Libraries_Python.html

    which has RPMs named "tkinter-2.2.1-19" and "tkinter-2.2.2-1" (as well
    as a number of other Python RPMs).

    Enjoy,
    Mike

    Dave Reed wrote:
    It's on one of the CDs - install the tkinter-2.2.1-17 rpm file.

    _______________________________________
    Mike C. Fletcher
    Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
    http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/
  • Peter at Apr 20, 2003 at 5:30 am

    Dave Reed wrote:
[...]

    Thanks Dave:

    I found the file (it's on the third CD) but when I try to install it
    (using rpm -i ) i get:

    error: Failed dependencies:
    libtix.so.0 is needed by tkinter-2.2.1-17

    I am not sure how to even begin looking where that library might be...

    Any help would be appreciated..

    Peter
  • Peter at Apr 20, 2003 at 5:48 am

    Peter wrote:
    Dave Reed wrote:
[...]

    I found it. libtix.so.0 is on the same CD inside
    tix-8.2.0b1-74.i386.rpm. Now Tkinter works!

    Cheers.

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedApr 20, '03 at 3:25a