Hi everyone,

First off, let me say that I'm a Python newbie. I just started
playing around with it, but I'm running into some problems trying to
get things installed. I want to install the MySQLdb module, but when
I try to run "python2.2 setup.py build" for MySQLdb I get the
following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "setup.py", line 6, in ?
from distutils.core import setup
ImportError: No module named distutils.core

So okay, I don't have the distutils module. I find that a little
weird, since I thought all later version of Python came with
distutils. But anyways, I tried to install the distutils, and when
running "python2.2 setup.py install" for distutils I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "setup.py", line 30, in ?
packages = ['distutils', 'distutils.command'],
File "distutils/core.py", line 101, in setup
_setup_distribution = dist = klass(attrs)
File "distutils/dist.py", line 130, in __init__
setattr(self, method_name, getattr(self.metadata, method_name))
AttributeError: DistributionMetadata instance has no attribute
'get___doc__'

I'm really not sure what's going on. But I'm guessing that either (a)
I need to reinstall Python, or (b) my path/environment isn't set up
correctly. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Colin

Search Discussions

  • Ddoc at Feb 1, 2003 at 3:28 pm

    Colin wrote:

    First off, let me say that I'm a Python newbie. I just started
    playing around with it, but I'm running into some problems trying to
    get things installed. I want to install the MySQLdb module, but when
    I try to run "python2.2 setup.py build" for MySQLdb

    I'm stuck as well.

  • Gerhard Häring at Feb 1, 2003 at 3:31 pm

    Colin wrote:
    Hi everyone,

    First off, let me say that I'm a Python newbie.
    Welcome to the club :-)
    I just started
    playing around with it, but I'm running into some problems trying to
    get things installed. I want to install the MySQLdb module, but when
    I try to run "python2.2 setup.py build" for MySQLdb I get the
    following error:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "setup.py", line 6, in ?
    from distutils.core import setup
    ImportError: No module named distutils.core
    You're using some Linux flavour, right? Most Linux distributions have
    split up Python into several packages, one of them being the
    "development" package. If this is the case, you'll have to install the
    Python development package, normally ending in "-dev" or "-devel".
    So okay, I don't have the distutils module. I find that a little
    weird, since I thought all later version of Python came with
    distutils. Yep.
    But anyways, I tried to install the distutils, [...]
    I suggest installing distutils by installing the development package
    made by your distribution.

    Gerhard
    --
    Favourite database: http://www.postgresql.org/
    Favourite programming language: http://www.python.org/

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedFeb 1, '03 at 2:01a
activeFeb 1, '03 at 3:31p
websitepython.org

3 users in discussion

Gerhard Häring: 1 post Ddoc: 1 post Colin: 1 post