This question may be better asked on python-list than python-dev.

One likely cause is the implementation of integer multiplication, which
uses floating point arithmetic to determine whether the result of the
multiplication overflows or is implicitly converted to long. I am
guessing that that your system probably doesn't have hardware floating
point.

If this is true, you could usefully replace the code by a custom
32x32->64 multiply and slightly modified test, or anything else that
still does the right thing. (python 2.1 seems to use a different method
that only uses integers, you might steal that instead)

This code is at least in intobject.c and may be inlined in ceval.c for
the BINARY_MULTIPLY opcode.

Jeff

Search Discussions

  • Brad Clements at Jan 30, 2003 at 2:28 pm
    Thanks Jeff, I will look into this aspect.

    Anyone remember pystone numbers for old Sun3 machines based on the 68000?

    --
    Novell DeveloperNet Sysop #5

    _