FAQ
Anyone had trouble running wxPython on the GNOME environment that
ships with redhat 7.3 (GNOME 1.4 I think...)? Our software has been
running into a lot of problems on that platform, and it looks like its
not us, since the wxPython demo is having the same problems (text not
displaying, weird visability errors, etc). Anyone else had this
problem?

Search Discussions

  • Cliff Wells at Jan 10, 2003 at 9:43 pm

    On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 13:18, Sean wrote:
    Anyone had trouble running wxPython on the GNOME environment that
    ships with redhat 7.3 (GNOME 1.4 I think...)? Our software has been
    running into a lot of problems on that platform, and it looks like its
    not us, since the wxPython demo is having the same problems (text not
    displaying, weird visability errors, etc). Anyone else had this
    problem?
    This is usually a problem only seen on GNOME2, but you might try running
    the demo with

    env LANG='C' python demo.py

    to see if that helps. I assume by "weird visibility" errors you are
    referring to fonts? For instance, fonts display as small boxes rather
    than text? If not, please clarify.

    --
    Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
    Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)
    (503) 978-6726 x308 (800) 735-0555 x308
  • Sean at Jan 13, 2003 at 9:00 pm
    Cliff,

    Thanks for the pointer. That got rid of the text showing up as
    boxes. The other problem I was having was a wxStaticText control
    object in my frame's toolbar keeps disapearing whenever I resize the
    frame. It comes back if I give focus to another window and then
    switch back, but refreshing the frame (or toolbar) on resize events
    does not seem to help.

    Cliff Wells <LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<mailman.1042235066.17749.python-list at python.org>...
    On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 13:18, Sean wrote:
    Anyone had trouble running wxPython on the GNOME environment that
    ships with redhat 7.3 (GNOME 1.4 I think...)? Our software has been
    running into a lot of problems on that platform, and it looks like its
    not us, since the wxPython demo is having the same problems (text not
    displaying, weird visability errors, etc). Anyone else had this
    problem?
    This is usually a problem only seen on GNOME2, but you might try running
    the demo with

    env LANG='C' python demo.py

    to see if that helps. I assume by "weird visibility" errors you are
    referring to fonts? For instance, fonts display as small boxes rather
    than text? If not, please clarify.
  • Cliff Wells at Jan 13, 2003 at 9:13 pm

    On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 13:00, Sean wrote:
    Cliff,

    Thanks for the pointer. That got rid of the text showing up as
    boxes. The other problem I was having was a wxStaticText control
    object in my frame's toolbar keeps disapearing whenever I resize the
    frame. It comes back if I give focus to another window and then
    switch back, but refreshing the frame (or toolbar) on resize events
    does not seem to help.
    Do you have a small piece of code you could post (or send me) so I can
    take a look?

    Also, please don't top-post. It makes the conversation difficult to
    follow for others who might be interested.

    Cliff Wells <LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<mailman.1042235066.17749.python-list at python.org>...
    This is usually a problem only seen on GNOME2, but you might try running
    the demo with

    env LANG='C' python demo.py

    to see if that helps. I assume by "weird visibility" errors you are
    referring to fonts? For instance, fonts display as small boxes rather
    than text? If not, please clarify.

    --
    Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
    Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)
    (503) 978-6726 x308 (800) 735-0555 x308
  • Sean at Jan 17, 2003 at 5:33 pm
    Cliff Wells <LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<mailman.1042492466.10176.python-list at python.org>...
    On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 13:00, Sean wrote:
    Cliff,

    Thanks for the pointer. That got rid of the text showing up as
    boxes. The other problem I was having was a wxStaticText control
    object in my frame's toolbar keeps disapearing whenever I resize the
    frame. It comes back if I give focus to another window and then
    switch back, but refreshing the frame (or toolbar) on resize events
    does not seem to help.
    Do you have a small piece of code you could post (or send me) so I can
    take a look?

    Also, please don't top-post. It makes the conversation difficult to
    follow for others who might be interested.

    Cliff Wells <LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<mailman.1042235066.17749.python-list at python.org>...
    This is usually a problem only seen on GNOME2, but you might try running
    the demo with

    env LANG='C' python demo.py

    to see if that helps. I assume by "weird visibility" errors you are
    referring to fonts? For instance, fonts display as small boxes rather
    than text? If not, please clarify.

    Here is a sample program that creates a small frame and adds a toolbar
    with 2 wxStaticText controls. Under both KDE and Gnome (on both
    redhat 7.3 and 8.0) the static text will disappear anytime you resize
    the frame. The only way to get it back is to give focus to another
    window, and then focus to the frame.


    from wxPython.wx import *

    ID_ABOUT = 101
    ID_EXIT = 102

    class MyFrame(wxFrame):
    def __init__(self, parent, ID, title):
    wxFrame.__init__(self, parent, ID, title,
    wxDefaultPosition, wxSize(400, 250))


    self.toolBar =
    self.CreateToolBar(wxTB_HORIZONTAL|wxTB_3DBUTTONS, NewId(), "ToolBar")

    #add state combo boxs
    id = NewId()
    self.toolBar.AddControl(wxStaticText(self.toolBar, id, "Static
    Text 1: "))

    id = NewId()
    self.toolBar.AddControl(wxStaticText(self.toolBar, id, "Static
    Text 2: "))


    self.toolBar.Realize()



    class MyApp(wxApp):
    def OnInit(self):
    frame = MyFrame(NULL, -1, "Hello from wxPython")
    frame.Show(true)
    self.SetTopWindow(frame)
    return true

    app = MyApp(0)
    app.MainLoop()
  • Cliff Wells at Jan 17, 2003 at 5:52 pm

    On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 09:33, Sean wrote:

    Here is a sample program that creates a small frame and adds a toolbar
    with 2 wxStaticText controls. Under both KDE and Gnome (on both
    redhat 7.3 and 8.0) the static text will disappear anytime you resize
    the frame. The only way to get it back is to give focus to another
    window, and then focus to the frame.


    from wxPython.wx import *

    ID_ABOUT = 101
    ID_EXIT = 102

    class MyFrame(wxFrame):
    def __init__(self, parent, ID, title):
    wxFrame.__init__(self, parent, ID, title,
    wxDefaultPosition, wxSize(400, 250))


    self.toolBar =
    self.CreateToolBar(wxTB_HORIZONTAL|wxTB_3DBUTTONS, NewId(), "ToolBar")

    #add state combo boxs
    id = NewId()
    self.toolBar.AddControl(wxStaticText(self.toolBar, id, "Static
    Text 1: "))

    id = NewId()
    self.toolBar.AddControl(wxStaticText(self.toolBar, id, "Static
    Text 2: "))


    self.toolBar.Realize()



    class MyApp(wxApp):
    def OnInit(self):
    frame = MyFrame(NULL, -1, "Hello from wxPython")
    frame.Show(true)
    self.SetTopWindow(frame)
    return true

    app = MyApp(0)
    app.MainLoop()
    Hm. It seems to work fine for me on Redhat 8.0, using wxPython
    2.3.4p2. What version of wxPython are you using?

    --
    Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
    Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)
    (503) 978-6726 x308 (800) 735-0555 x308
  • Sean at Jan 21, 2003 at 8:00 pm
    Cliff Wells <LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<mailman.1042825960.12009.python-list at python.org>...
    On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 09:33, Sean wrote:

    Here is a sample program that creates a small frame and adds a toolbar
    with 2 wxStaticText controls. Under both KDE and Gnome (on both
    redhat 7.3 and 8.0) the static text will disappear anytime you resize
    the frame. The only way to get it back is to give focus to another
    window, and then focus to the frame.


    from wxPython.wx import *

    ID_ABOUT = 101
    ID_EXIT = 102

    class MyFrame(wxFrame):
    def __init__(self, parent, ID, title):
    wxFrame.__init__(self, parent, ID, title,
    wxDefaultPosition, wxSize(400, 250))


    self.toolBar =
    self.CreateToolBar(wxTB_HORIZONTAL|wxTB_3DBUTTONS, NewId(), "ToolBar")

    #add state combo boxs
    id = NewId()
    self.toolBar.AddControl(wxStaticText(self.toolBar, id, "Static
    Text 1: "))

    id = NewId()
    self.toolBar.AddControl(wxStaticText(self.toolBar, id, "Static
    Text 2: "))


    self.toolBar.Realize()



    class MyApp(wxApp):
    def OnInit(self):
    frame = MyFrame(NULL, -1, "Hello from wxPython")
    frame.Show(true)
    self.SetTopWindow(frame)
    return true

    app = MyApp(0)
    app.MainLoop()
    Hm. It seems to work fine for me on Redhat 8.0, using wxPython
    2.3.4p2. What version of wxPython are you using?
    I've been using both 2.3.2 and the new 2.4.0. I'll see about getting
    2.3.4 on and testing that...
  • Cliff Wells at Jan 21, 2003 at 8:42 pm

    On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 12:00, Sean wrote:
    Cliff Wells <LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<mailman.1042825960.12009.python-list at python.org>...
    Hm. It seems to work fine for me on Redhat 8.0, using wxPython
    2.3.4p2. What version of wxPython are you using?
    I've been using both 2.3.2 and the new 2.4.0. I'll see about getting
    2.3.4 on and testing that...
    You might also try the CVS version. There tends to be a flurry of bug
    reports after each release and fixes often appear in CVS long before
    another release is made.

    I'd also bring this up on the wxPython mailing list in case this is a
    bug that hasn't been reported yet.

    Regards,

    --
    Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
    Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)
    (503) 978-6726 x308 (800) 735-0555 x308

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedJan 10, '03 at 9:18p
activeJan 21, '03 at 8:42p
posts8
users2
websitepython.org

2 users in discussion

Cliff Wells: 4 posts Sean: 4 posts

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase