Just finished downloading Python 2.2.1. Appears to be working fine. To
complete the installation, I downloaded and executed
MySQL-python-0.9.2-1.i386.rpm. MySQLdb shows up in
/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages (as it should). When I attempt to import
MySQLdb I get the following error:

libmysqlclient.so.9: cannot open shared object file: no such file or
directory
File "MySQLdb/__init__.py, line 27 ?
import _mysql

Well I looked, and _mysql.so is located in site_packages. I also verified
environment with sys.path and the paths are correct as well. And I am logged
in as "root" so there should be no permissions issue.

Any idea what's wrong???? Thanks.

  • Gerhard Häring at Oct 6, 2002 at 12:31 am

    mongo57a at comcast.net wrote in comp.lang.python:
    Just finished downloading Python 2.2.1. Appears to be working fine. To
    complete the installation, I downloaded and executed
    MySQL-python-0.9.2-1.i386.rpm. MySQLdb shows up in
    /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages (as it should). When I attempt to import
    MySQLdb I get the following error:

    libmysqlclient.so.9: cannot open shared object file: no such file or
    You didn't install the MySQL client libraries or got a version with a
    different library number installed.

    Check if you have any libmysqlclient*:

    $ ls /usr/lib/libmysqlclient*

    If there is none, install the relevant RPM from your distribution or
    from mysql.com.

    If there is such a library, but with a different library number, such
    as 8, you can try to to symlink to it, so that you have a

    libmysqlclient.so.9 that points to libmysqlclient.so.{whatever}

    HTH,

    -- Gerhard
  • Mongo57a at Oct 6, 2002 at 3:32 am
    Ok, looks like I have a whole slew of MySQL libraries - but they are version
    10. (Maybe the latest MySQL-Python hasn't been updated yet????).

    Is it possible to rebuild the mysql-python interface
    (MySQL-python-0.9.2-1.i386.rpm) to use the .10 libs? Can I use rpm to do so
    - and how? This is much preferable to symlink.

    TAI

  • JXSternChangeX2R at Oct 7, 2002 at 2:19 pm

    Just finished downloading Python 2.2.1. Appears to be working fine. To
    complete the installation, I downloaded and executed
    MySQL-python-0.9.2-1.i386.rpm. MySQLdb shows up in
    /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages (as it should). When I attempt to import
    MySQLdb I get the following error:
    MySQL-python-0.9.2.win32-py2.2.exe

    Worked fine.

    Of course, the import statement is case sensitive, that had me
    stumped, for about six seconds.

    J.

grouppython-list @
categoriespython