Hello All:
I have two questions to ask...
Can anyone give me a hand?
1. What's the MAJOR difference between ZOPE and PHP-NUKE which influence you
to choose ZOPE?

2. Is the Python the best language to develop a SCORM-based e-learning web
station? And how about PHP?

Search Discussions

  • Domenic R. Merenda at Aug 9, 2002 at 12:40 am
    Ni Hao, Tza-Hua!

    I favor Python as a programming language, due to its ability to allow me
    to rapidly develop and deploy applications across a wide variety of
    platforms, as well as it's "Super Glue" factor. However, I also maintain
    The Edge Report, a content syndication and distribution site, which is
    deployed with PHP-Nuke.

    I served previously as the Vice President of Business Development for the
    now defunct BeOpen.com, which had the fortune of welcoming the core Python
    team aboard for a short stint, including the release of Python 2.0. During
    my tenure, I had intimate contact with the folks at Digital Creations, and
    their product, Zope. Many things about Zope have impressed me, and continue
    to impress me as I work with the server. I find it very easy, as a Python
    programmer, to customize the system, and it scales fairly nicely when you
    put it into a production environment. As a web developer working by myself,
    Zope is certainly an amazing platform, and you can accomplish a great deal
    of tasks with wonderful results. However, I am not working by myself any
    longer. The people who assist me in the development and maintenance of The
    Edge Report are not as fluent with Python, and prefer languages such as PHP
    or Perl. Because of this, I was forced to move solely to PHP-Nuke, in order
    to facilitate their contributions.

    The PHP-Nuke package installs easily, customizes well, and plays nicely
    with SOAP/XML and other interchange formats. Its administration is a
    breeze, and I have yet to find a limitation of development, assuming you
    wish to use PHP for expanding the site and/or server. I, being a glutton
    for punishment, have chosen to rely on Python as heavily as possible,
    however. Because of this, I am forced to tie the language to the PHP-Nuke
    package, and this slows things down somewhat. However, because I have done
    the work on the front end, the Python code can be maintained easily by
    subordinates, lightening my workload. The real gripes I have with PHP-Nuke
    are twofold. First, because of the processor intensive interpretation of
    the PHP, the pages load slowly on even the fastest of machines, and the CPU
    load tends to cause the package to scale poorly. The second major gripe is
    with the development of the language. Mr. Burzi, it's primary maintainer,
    does not have the advantage Digital Creations affords Guido and his team, as
    well as the Zope guys. Mr. Burzi does not have a benefactor paying for the
    development of the package, and relies on uncompensated efforts of generous
    souls. Updates and fixes are released regularly, if somewhat slowly. In
    contrast, history has shown us that Guido and his team aren't going to let
    us down when there's an issue to be fixed.

    If I can help you in any way to make your decision, please do not
    hesitate to drop me a line. I confess that I cannot answer your second
    question, and so I leave that to the rest of the group.

    Cheers!
    --
    Domenic R. Merenda
    Editor, The Edge Report

    "Tzu-Hua Wang, NCUE, Taiwan" <biogary at bio.ncue.edu.tw> wrote in message
    news:aiu4cb$4sd at netnews.hinet.net...
    Hello All:
    I have two questions to ask...
    Can anyone give me a hand?
    1. What's the MAJOR difference between ZOPE and PHP-NUKE which influence you
    to choose ZOPE?

    2. Is the Python the best language to develop a SCORM-based e-learning web
    station? And how about PHP?

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedAug 8, '02 at 3:50p