In moving from using Access front end forms and code connected to an Access
back end I am looking at changing to Java front end to SQL back end with a
business rules engine using Python.

These are busy forms and there is a lot of data validation (checking data
input for correct format, string length etc), if this do that's, and
directing of drop-down list content based on the entry or selection of the
previous field (if this make, populate the next list with the models of the
chosen make etc).

Is Python a good choice to manage and run the rules and is there a way of
transcribing the VBA code across to Python other than literally doing it
line by line?

Thanks,
Keith

Search Discussions

  • KTF at Jun 15, 2002 at 5:34 am
    In moving from using Access front end forms and code connected to an Access
    back end I am looking at changing to Java front end to SQL back end with a
    business rules engine using Python.

    These are busy forms and there is a lot of data validation (checking data
    input for correct format, string length etc), if this do that's, and
    directing of drop-down list content based on the entry or selection of the
    previous field (if this make, populate the next list with the models of the
    chosen make etc).

    Is Python a good choice to manage and run the rules and is there a way of
    transcribing / translating the VBA code across to Python other than
    literally doing it
    line by line?

    Thanks,
    Keith
  • Dean Goodmanson at Jun 16, 2002 at 12:53 am

    Keith:
    Is there a way of
    transcribing / translating the VBA code across to Python other than
    literally doing it
    line by line?
    I don't think so.
    But although it sounds tedious, I would expect a translator to still
    require a function by function, most likely line by line (tick and
    tie?) analysis.
    It may also help you're transition and validation for using Python.
    Can code reviews can be a bad thing? (rhetorical.)

    -Dean
  • Matt Gerrans at Jun 15, 2002 at 7:35 am

    In moving from using Access front end forms and code connected to an Access
    back end I am looking at changing to Java front end to SQL back end with a
    business rules engine using Python.
    Using the Win32 extensions, in particular win32com.client.Dispatch() is
    quite handy for dealing with COM automation objects; I use this quite often
    to access the same objects commonly used in JScript and VBScript (and
    probably also VBA).
    Is Python a good choice to manage and run the rules ...
    Of course! Knocks the socks off BASIC programming. You have the temerity
    to even ask such a question in *this* newsgroup? :-)
    ...and is there a way of
    transcribing the VBA code across to Python other than literally doing it
    line by line?
    As opposed to figuratively doing it line by line? I guess you want to
    convert existing code to Python, rather than just doing the new code in
    Python? There may be translators, but my guess is that this would open a
    big can of worms (figuratively) and be the source (so to speak) of lots of
    headaches. I like the idea of doing new work in Python, while slowly
    converting modules that you come across (while bug fixing, adding new
    features, etc.) to Python. If you have a lot of working code (even if it
    is encoded in a distasteful syntax like VB), there is no sense in junking it
    carte blanche -- if (when) there are any problems there will be naysayers
    blaming it on Python, which would be a shame.

    - mfg

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedJun 15, '02 at 5:33a