I'm looking for a good of binaries, or a good URL concerning setting up IDLE
under SUSE Linux 7.3 Pro. Got URL?

Also, if anyone has any experience working with Python under KDeveloper
(KDE) I'd love to hear about it. As soon as I get Glimpse/GlimseIndex
installed I'm going to give it a whirl.

thx

Search Discussions

  • Bernard Yue at Apr 1, 2002 at 9:53 pm

    Robert Oschler wrote:
    I'm looking for a good of binaries, or a good URL concerning setting up IDLE
    under SUSE Linux 7.3 Pro. Got URL?
    SuSE Linux 7.3 Pro comes with Python 2.1.1, so IDLE comes with it. IDLE
    is located at /usr/share/doc/packages/python/Tools/idle/idle.py.
    Also, if anyone has any experience working with Python under KDeveloper
    (KDE) I'd love to hear about it. As soon as I get Glimpse/GlimseIndex
    installed I'm going to give it a whirl.

    thx
    As for GUI development I am using Tkinter but am in the process of
    switching to Qt (Qt is the best GUI toolkit I've seen so far). I am
    impress with Qt Designer that comes with SuSE. Since I needed only an
    easy to use GUI designer. I can then generate C++ implementation class
    from it and use PyQt (comes with SuSE as well) to hook up with Python.

    If you wanted a heayweight IDE, take a look at Black Adder
    (http://www.thekompany.com/products/blackadder/).

    The only issue I have with Qt is the distibution of run-time libraries
    to Windows. In order to do so it cost you US$ 400.

    Bernie

    --
    There are three schools of magic. One: State a tautology, then ring
    the changes on its corollaries; that's philosophy. Two: Record many

    Then I have something strange. There is no /Tools directory under
    /usr/share/doc/packages/python. I tried doing a search on Python in Yast2
    and installing a bunch more of the Python related packates (and online
    updated them), but still no luck. A full disk search for Idle.Py turned up
    empty.

    thx

    Bernard Yue <bernie at 3captus.com> wrote in message
    news:3CA8D724.336A22BA at 3captus.com...
    SuSE Linux 7.3 Pro comes with Python 2.1.1, so IDLE comes with it. IDLE
    is located at /usr/share/doc/packages/python/Tools/idle/idle.py.
  • Bernard Yue at Apr 2, 2002 at 9:56 am

    Robert Oschler wrote:
    Bernard,

    Then I have something strange. There is no /Tools directory under
    /usr/share/doc/packages/python. I tried doing a search on Python in Yast2
    and installing a bunch more of the Python related packates (and online
    updated them), but still no luck. A full disk search for Idle.Py turned up
    empty.

    thx
    Have you installed python-tk? That maybe the reason. IDLE needs
    Tkinter.

    Bernie

    --
    There are three schools of magic. One: State a tautology, then ring
    the changes on its corollaries; that's philosophy. Two: Record many
    facts. Try to find a pattern. Then make a wrong guess at the next
    fact; that's science. Three: Be aware that you live in a malevolent
    Universe controlled by Murphy's Law, sometimes offset by Brewster's
    Factor; that's engineering.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein
  • Robert Oschler at Apr 2, 2002 at 2:41 pm
    Bernard,

    Just checked, yes I did.

    news:3CA98091.4B8C83A2 at 3captus.com...
    Have you installed python-tk? That maybe the reason. IDLE needs
    Tkinter.
  • Robert Oschler at Apr 2, 2002 at 3:50 pm
    Bernard,

    Just replying so other adventurers can find it on Gooja. I installed the
    Python demo-scripts package and the Tools directory just popped up with Idle
    in it.

    thx

    Bernard Yue <bernie at 3captus.com> wrote in message
    news:3CA98091.4B8C83A2 at 3captus.com...
    Have you installed python-tk? That maybe the reason. IDLE needs
    Tkinter.
  • Tjabo Kloppenburg at Apr 2, 2002 at 1:03 am
    hi,
    I'm looking for a good of binaries, or a good URL concerning setting up
    IDLE under SUSE Linux 7.3 Pro. Got URL?
    where's the problem?

    In Suse 7.2 IDLE can be found on CDROM #4 in
    /suse/d3/python-demo.rpm

    you can find the package by doing a
    zgrep -i "idle.py" /cdrom/ARCHIVES.gz
    with CDROM 1.

    tk.
    (better copy the .gz on your harddisk and write a small shell script to
    search in the copied file)

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedApr 1, '02 at 4:58p