We've released a second release candidate for the next bugfix release
of Python, 2.2.1.

There haven't been many changes since 2.2.1c1, just a few fixes.

Note for AIX users: there are still problems with AIX in this release,
and there has not been time to repair them without fear of breaking
platforms that currently work. Hopefully by the time of the release
of 2.2.1 final we will be able to provide a recipe that allows AIX
users to build and run Python.

Get the scoop (and the files) here:

http://www.python.org/2.2.1/

In order to make 2.2.1 a solid release, please help by

+ Building the release, and running the test suite on your platform.
+ Running *your* extension modules' and applications' test suites
against this release.
+ Reporting any problems to the bug tracker at sf:

http://sourceforge.net/bugs/?group_idT70

This being a bugfix release, there are no exciting new features -- we just
fixed a lot of bugs. For a moderately complete list, please see:

http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id�373

Feel free to email me the output of "make test", but please check that
you are not duplicating effort by reading this page first:

http://starship.python.net/crew/mwh/221c2-reports.txt

2.2.1 final will follow "soon".

Cheers,
The Python development team.

Search Discussions

  • Frank Patz at Mar 27, 2002 at 10:39 am

    [...]
    Note for AIX users: there are still problems with AIX in this release,
    and there has not been time to repair them without fear of breaking
    platforms that currently work. Hopefully by the time of the release
    of 2.2.1 final we will be able to provide a recipe that allows AIX
    users to build and run Python.
    [...]
    Hmm, can someone shed more light on this issue?

    - frank
    --
    fp at contact dot de
  • Martin v. Loewis at Mar 27, 2002 at 11:23 am

    "Frank Patz" <fp at contact.de> writes:

    Note for AIX users: there are still problems with AIX in this release,
    and there has not been time to repair them without fear of breaking
    platforms that currently work. Hopefully by the time of the release
    of 2.2.1 final we will be able to provide a recipe that allows AIX
    users to build and run Python.
    [...]
    Hmm, can someone shed more light on this issue?
    I think this is a red herring: Some user, for some reason, does not
    have cc_r. According to a number of other AIX users, cc_r should
    always be available, so it appears to be an installation bug of the
    AIX system in question. I don't think it deserves fixing.

    Regards,
    Martin
  • Ralph Corderoy at Apr 6, 2002 at 4:11 pm
    Hi Martin,
    Note for AIX users: there are still problems with AIX in this
    release, and there has not been time to repair them without fear
    of breaking platforms that currently work. Hopefully by the time
    of the release of 2.2.1 final we will be able to provide a recipe
    that allows AIX users to build and run Python. [...]
    Hmm, can someone shed more light on this issue?
    I think this is a red herring: Some user, for some reason, does not
    have cc_r. According to a number of other AIX users, cc_r should
    always be available, so it appears to be an installation bug of the
    AIX system in question. I don't think it deserves fixing.
    That `some user' is me. Can you tell me what version of AIX those
    users who say it should always be available are referring to? As the
    bug report says, AIX 3.2.5 is what I'm using and cc_r doesn't exist.
    It isn't a requirement to install it at the same time as cc.

    Perl has always built happily on AIX 3.2.5 in my experience and given
    all Python has to do is search through the list [cc_r cc] for the first
    one it finds when the OS is AIX I don't see the big deal. Escpecially
    since it already has a `when OS is AIX do a bodge' statement.

    I'll add more to the bug report shortly when I've time.

    Ralph.
  • Michael Hudson at Apr 8, 2002 at 12:08 pm

    ralph at inputplus.demon.co.uk (Ralph Corderoy) writes:

    Hi Martin,
[...]

    But you can make it compile with ./configure --without-gcc, right?
    I'll add more to the bug report shortly when I've time.
    You don't have very long!

    Cheers,
    M.

    --
    And then the character-only displays went away (leading to
    increasingly silly graphical effects and finally to ads on

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedMar 26, '02 at 7:19p
activeApr 8, '02 at 12:08p