Hello all, I would love to try to write an imaging app using the PIL,
but I can even get it installed. I try reading all the documentation
I could find on the subject, but nothing helped. Would some please
help me.

Thanks for your time,
Tech.

Search Discussions

  • Fredrik Lundh at Nov 16, 2001 at 9:04 am

    "Tech" wrote:
    Hello all, I would love to try to write an imaging app using the PIL,
    but I can even get it installed. I try reading all the documentation
    I could find on the subject, but nothing helped. Would some please
    help me.
    so, what did you do, and what didn't work.

    </F>
  • Tech at Nov 16, 2001 at 11:41 am
    I downloaded the file for my version of python and ran the setup
    executable that I downloaded. Next, I tried to test the installation
    by running some of the test scripts that came with PIL. Each time I
    tried I got the following error...

    Python 2.1.1 (#20, Jul 20 2001, 01:19:29) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on
    win32
    IDLE 0.8 -- press F1 for help

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\py21\Samples\viewer.py", line 7, in ?
    import Image, ImageTk
    ImportError: No module named Image

    I had hope that all I had to do was run the
    "py21-pil-1.1.2-20010910.exe" file and it would do everything and I
    could just start using PIL. However, this does not seem to be the
    case. I look for a Setup.py script in directory created by the
    executable, but I found nothing. Do I have to copy the files to a
    different directory? I'm new to python; I have a C++ Builder 4.0
    background. Am I doing anything wrong? Does this answer you
    question?

    Thanks you your reply,
    Tech
    vze2q3xh at verizon.net

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:04:43 GMT, "Fredrik Lundh"
    Hello all, I would love to try to write an imaging app using the PIL,
    but I can even get it installed. I try reading all the documentation
    I could find on the subject, but nothing helped. Would some please
    help me.
    so, what did you do, and what didn't work.

    </F>
  • Steve Holden at Nov 16, 2001 at 2:42 pm
    "Tech" <vze2q3xh at verizon.net> wrote ...
    [ eff-bot asks how loaded, what errors were seen ...]
    I downloaded the file for my version of python and ran the setup
    executable that I downloaded. Next, I tried to test the installation
    by running some of the test scripts that came with PIL. Each time I
    tried I got the following error...

    Python 2.1.1 (#20, Jul 20 2001, 01:19:29) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on
    win32
    IDLE 0.8 -- press F1 for help
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\py21\Samples\viewer.py", line 7, in ?
    import Image, ImageTk
    ImportError: No module named Image
    Aha! Have you tried

    import PIL.Image
    I had hope that all I had to do was run the
    "py21-pil-1.1.2-20010910.exe" file and it would do everything and I
    could just start using PIL. However, this does not seem to be the
    case. I look for a Setup.py script in directory created by the
    executable, but I found nothing. Do I have to copy the files to a
    different directory? I'm new to python; I have a C++ Builder 4.0
    background. Am I doing anything wrong? Does this answer you
    question?
    PIL is, I believe, built for Windows using the distutils, the end result of
    which is a Windows installer. Did you notice where it installed PIL? Does
    this look like the right place?

    regards
    Steve
  • Jeff Shannon at Nov 16, 2001 at 6:23 pm

    Tech wrote:

    I downloaded the file for my version of python and ran the setup
    executable that I downloaded. Next, I tried to test the installation
    by running some of the test scripts that came with PIL. Each time I
    tried I got the following error...

    Python 2.1.1 (#20, Jul 20 2001, 01:19:29) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on
    win32
    IDLE 0.8 -- press F1 for help
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\py21\Samples\viewer.py", line 7, in ?
    import Image, ImageTk
    ImportError: No module named Image
    This is almost certainly a search-path issue. If you create a file called
    PIL.pth in your python directory, containing a single line consisting of the
    full path to your PIL installation, that ought to solve the problem.

    Jeff Shannon
    Technician/Programmer
    Credit International
  • Tech at Nov 17, 2001 at 2:46 am
    Thanks Guys,

    This seems to help, I added the PIL.pth file with this text...
    C:\py21\PIL

    that's seem to allow me to access the Lib.
    now I will try to do something useful...

    wish me luck.
    Tech.

    I downloaded the file for my version of python and ran the setup
    executable that I downloaded. Next, I tried to test the installation
    by running some of the test scripts that came with PIL. Each time I
    tried I got the following error...

    Python 2.1.1 (#20, Jul 20 2001, 01:19:29) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on
    win32
    IDLE 0.8 -- press F1 for help
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\py21\Samples\viewer.py", line 7, in ?
    import Image, ImageTk
    ImportError: No module named Image
    This is almost certainly a search-path issue. If you create a file called
    PIL.pth in your python directory, containing a single line consisting of the
    full path to your PIL installation, that ought to solve the problem.

    Jeff Shannon
    Technician/Programmer
    Credit International

grouppython-list @