FAQ
I am using Redhat 7.1. I was using the python installed by Redhat (1.5.2 I think), but I decided to upgrade to
2.1.1. It installed without any apparent problems and was able to run the test without any major failures. However,
a minor aspect of the interpreter has now changed; I can no longer use the up and down arrow keys to return to
past commands I have entered -- it prints garbage characters on the screen instead.

I can't tell if this is really an issue with python, or what could be causing this. I've tried to look through the
documentation for this kind of thing, but if I have missed something I will read it if it is pointed out to me.

Thanks,
Kit

Search Discussions

  • Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams at Oct 3, 2001 at 6:32 am

    On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Tod Fox wrote:

    I am using Redhat 7.1. I was using the python installed by Redhat (1.5.2 I think), but I decided to upgrade to
    2.1.1. It installed without any apparent problems and was able to run the test without any major failures. However,
    a minor aspect of the interpreter has now changed; I can no longer use the up and down arrow keys to return to
    past commands I have entered -- it prints garbage characters on the screen instead.

    I can't tell if this is really an issue with python, or what could be causing this. I've tried to look through the
    documentation for this kind of thing, but if I have missed something I will read it if it is pointed out to me.
    Did you install from RPM, SRPM, or tarball, and if RPM or SRPM, where did you
    get it from?

    --
    Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ignacio at openservices.net>
  • Markus Schaber at Oct 3, 2001 at 6:50 am

    Tod Fox <vulpine at dontspam.earthling.net> schrub:

    I am using Redhat 7.1. I was using the python installed by Redhat
    (1.5.2 I think), but I decided to upgrade to 2.1.1. It installed
    without any apparent problems and was able to run the test without any
    major failures. However, a minor aspect of the interpreter has now
    changed; I can no longer use the up and down arrow keys to return to
    past commands I have entered -- it prints garbage characters on the
    screen instead.

    I can't tell if this is really an issue with python, or what could be
    causing this. I've tried to look through the documentation for this
    kind of thing, but if I have missed something I will read it if it is
    pointed out to me.
    It seems that your Python version is compiled without readline support.

    If you did compile it yourself, check your configure options, otherwise
    check the location you got the packages whether they offer a version
    compiled with readline support.

    markus
    --
    "The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of
    each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty
    bound to do his share in this defense are the constitutional rights
    secure." -- Albert Einstein
  • Tod Fox at Oct 3, 2001 at 6:08 pm

    Markus Schaber wrote:
    Tod Fox <vulpine at dontspam.earthling.net> schrub:
    It seems that your Python version is compiled without readline support.
    If you did compile it yourself, check your configure options, otherwise
    check the location you got the packages whether they offer a version
    compiled with readline support.
    I will look into this and recompile it with 'readline' support turned on. Thanks for the
    suggestion.

    Kit
  • Tod Fox at Oct 3, 2001 at 6:08 pm

    Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
    On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Tod Fox wrote:
    Did you install from RPM, SRPM, or tarball, and if RPM or SRPM, where did you
    get it from?
    I compiled it from a tarball. Someone else has suggested I didn't compile it with
    'readline' turned on. I will look into this...

    Kit
  • Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams at Oct 3, 2001 at 7:34 pm

    On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Tod Fox wrote:

    Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
    On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Tod Fox wrote:
    Did you install from RPM, SRPM, or tarball, and if RPM or SRPM, where did you
    get it from?
    I compiled it from a tarball. Someone else has suggested I didn't compile it with
    'readline' turned on. I will look into this...
    You'll need to install the readline-devel RPM.

    --
    Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ignacio at openservices.net>
  • Jan Samohyl at Oct 4, 2001 at 5:59 pm
    A friend of mine has a similar problem, cursor keys that stop working within the interactive mode. He tried python2.2a3
    on both redhat 7.0 and 7.1 and on debian. Also, the strangiest thing is that in one case it worked only for root. He said
    it _was_ compiled with readline. I am using the same version redhat 6.1 and everything ok.

    Regards
    Jan Samohyl
  • Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams at Oct 4, 2001 at 6:54 pm

    On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Jan Samohyl wrote:

    A friend of mine has a similar problem, cursor keys that stop working within the interactive mode. He tried python2.2a3
    on both redhat 7.0 and 7.1 and on debian. Also, the strangiest thing is that in one case it worked only for root. He said
    it _was_ compiled with readline. I am using the same version redhat 6.1 and everything ok.
    Curious. I have RH 7.1 myself and all 2.x versions are fine, but I compiled
    them from the unofficial official SRPMs.

    Hmm. Do Ctrl-P or Ctrl-N have any effect? Is there a file called .inputrc in
    the home directory?

    --
    Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ignacio at openservices.net>

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedOct 3, '01 at 5:20a
activeOct 4, '01 at 6:54p
posts8
users4
websitepython.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase