the RPM from the distro, I get Python 2.0 with working IDLE, and
I'd like to have a similar setup for Python 2.2.

Kirby
Please cc: urnerk at qwest.net

Search Discussions

  • Kirby Urner at Aug 28, 2001 at 5:07 pm
    Postscript:

    I figured this out. Mandrake install CDs didn't bother to install
    all the X11R6 include files by default, so Xlib.h which simply
    absent from my system. I used the RPM manager to
    locate the missing stuff, did a fresh untar of Python2.2,
    and reran everything from the beginning. Also grabbed the
    idle stuff out of Tools and copied it to /site-packages.
    All is well.

    Kirby

    Kirby Urner wrote:
    I downloaded Python 2.2a2 and did a ./configure ./make in Linux
    (Mandrake 8.0 distro). Errors had to do with not finding X11/X11.h
    and therefore not installing _tkinter. In the /usr/local/lib/python2.2
    directory, I also don't find IDLE (a Tk app). I'm able to use the
    resulting Python in terminal shell mode no prob.

    Question: what do I need to do to on my platform to compile a
    new Python with Tkinter usable, and IDLE as well? When I install

    Please cc: urnerk at qwest.net

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedAug 27, '01 at 4:44p