have tips on installing both IDLE and PythonWin?

David Lees

Search Discussions

  • Mark Hadfield at Apr 25, 2001 at 4:47 am
    From: "David Lees" <debl at nospammytheworld.com>

    I installed Python 2.1 on my Win98 box to get IDLE. When I started to
    install Activestate 2.1 with windows extensions, a message popped up,
    warning that having 2 versions of Python may break both.
    Correct. They would trample on each other's registry keys.
    Does anyone
    have tips on installing both IDLE and PythonWin?
    ActivePython 2.1 has IDLE. So you could remove the standard Python 2.1 and
    just install ActivePython.

    Or keep current Python and add win32 extensions from
    http://www.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePython/Extensions/Win32all

    ---
    Mark Hadfield
    m.hadfield at niwa.cri.nz http://katipo.niwa.cri.nz/~hadfield
    National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research

    --
    Posted from clam.niwa.cri.nz [202.36.29.1]
  • David Lees at Apr 26, 2001 at 11:41 pm

    Thanks,

    David Lees

    From: "David Lees" <debl at nospammytheworld.com>
    I installed Python 2.1 on my Win98 box to get IDLE. When I started to
    install Activestate 2.1 with windows extensions, a message popped up,
    warning that having 2 versions of Python may break both.
    Correct. They would trample on each other's registry keys.
    Does anyone
    have tips on installing both IDLE and PythonWin?
    ActivePython 2.1 has IDLE. So you could remove the standard Python 2.1 and
    just install ActivePython.

    Or keep current Python and add win32 extensions from
    http://www.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePython/Extensions/Win32all

    ---
    Mark Hadfield
    m.hadfield at niwa.cri.nz http://katipo.niwa.cri.nz/~hadfield
    National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research

    --
    Posted from clam.niwa.cri.nz [202.36.29.1]
  • Mark Hadfield at Apr 27, 2001 at 12:57 am
    From: "David Lees" <debl at nospamtheworld.com>
    I did as suggested and removed Python 2.1 and then installed the
    ActiveState 2.1 version. I am unable to find how to start IDLE. There
    is an IDLE subdirectory, but it appears to just be extensions used by
    the ActiveState version. Can you tell me where how to start up IDLE?
    On my system either of the following files can be used to run IDLE:

    C:\Program Files\Python\Python21\Tools\idle\idle.py
    C:\Program Files\Python\Python21\Tools\idle\idle.pyw

    Note that I installed ActivePython into "C:\Program Files\Python\Python21"
    rather than the default location, which I think was "C:\Python21".

    Do you have either of these files?

    ---
    Mark Hadfield
    m.hadfield at niwa.cri.nz http://katipo.niwa.cri.nz/~hadfield
    National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research

    --
    Posted from clam.niwa.cri.nz [202.36.29.1]
  • David Lees at Apr 27, 2001 at 1:40 am
    Oops, I missed that 'idle' directory. There is another 'idle' directory at
    D:\Python21\Pythonwin\pywin\idle which is the one I was browsing. Thanks
    idle.pyw works just fine.

    David Lees

    Mark Hadfield wrote:
    From: "David Lees" <debl at nospamtheworld.com>
[...]