From: Thomas Heller [mailto:thomas.heller at ion-tof.com]
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2001 8:03 AM
To: python-list at python.org
Subject: Re: Unresolved symbols in MSVCRT.DLL when running a py2exe
packaged program.

Here is a comment about a similar problem in
another py2exe-packed application, which
I received from Jeff Kunce:
I just tried runing a py2exe-packaged application on an older NT machine,
and
it choked with an "Entry Point Not Found" error on MSVCRT.dll
Well, I played with it some more and got it to work.

I simply excluded all the DLLs that are normally found in NTs system32
directory (MPR.dll, MSVCIRT.dll, MSVCRT.dll, NETAPI32.dll, NETRAP.dll,
SAMLIB.dll) - and it works now on the older machine.

It looks like there is no easy "good" solution to this problem. Here's a
comment by Gordon McMillan on the topic:
http://www.wxpython.org/archive/2000-June/002469.html
Thomas

Search Discussions

  • Rolander, Dan at Mar 2, 2001 at 6:23 pm
    The problem with replacing individual DLLs is that they come in matched
    sets. Unless you replace the whole set bad things can happen. It is often
    easiest to install a service pack or product that'll upgrade the DLLs for
    you. Or if you do use a professional installer like IPWI, load a merge
    module to handle it for you.

    This is an excellent article from Microsoft which explains the DLL Hell
    pitfalls and how Win2K is attempting to handle it (along with a
    troubleshooting tool for all Win32 systems):
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?URL=/library/techart/DLLdanger
    1.htm

    Dan