I am trying to pull out a Ip address from a .html file,

I have done this successfully already BUT,

The site has a password, the username is blank and the pass word is ****
blah blah

When I run the

[code] url.urlopen('http://www.blah.com/ip.html')

all I get is "Enter username for ** at ** :" if i press just return I am
then asked for the password, after entering the password the process just
keeps repeating.

I know for well that the password is correct, I just need it to accept a
blank username

Regards,

Paul Goodyear

Search Discussions

  • David C. Ullrich at Jan 8, 2001 at 2:42 pm

    I am trying to pull out a Ip address from a .html file,

    I have done this successfully already BUT,

    The site has a password, the username is blank and the pass word is ****
    blah blah

    When I run the

    [code] url.urlopen('http://www.blah.com/ip.html')

    all I get is "Enter username for ** at ** :" if i press just return I am
    then asked for the password, after entering the password the process just
    keeps repeating.

    I know for well that the password is correct, I just need it to accept a
    blank username
    Probably the problem is something else so this won't help, but
    it couldn't hurt to try: You can specify the url as

    url.urlopen('http://username:password at www.blah.com/ip.html')

    or maybe it's

    url.urlopen('http://password:username at www.blah.com/ip.html')
    Regards,

    Paul Goodyear
  • Paul Goodyear at Jan 8, 2001 at 4:11 pm
    Cheers,

    Nah it still won't let me.

    I even got the username setup so I can pass a username and password.

    But it still didn't work.

    If I give it the username and password it just keeps looping, if I press
    enter twice to give no username and no password the code exit's and it
    prints the Authorisation Error produced by the failed logon. :(((

    Anybody????????

    pgudge

    "David C. Ullrich" <ullrich at math.okstate.edu> wrote in message
    news:3a59d104.8675840 at nntp.sprynet.com...
[...]

  • Thaddeus L. Olczyk at Jan 8, 2001 at 5:34 pm

    I am trying to pull out a Ip address from a .html file,

    I have done this successfully already BUT,

    The site has a password, the username is blank and the pass word is ****
    blah blah

    When I run the

    [code] url.urlopen('http://www.blah.com/ip.html')

    all I get is "Enter username for ** at ** :" if i press just return I am
    then asked for the password, after entering the password the process just
    keeps repeating.

    I know for well that the password is correct, I just need it to accept a
    blank username

    Regards,

    Paul Goodyear
    I believe it is sent as data probably url?user=dddd&passwd=rrrr.
    The best way to find out.
    There is a perl package called HttpSniffer.pl ( someone mention if
    there is a similar python module ).
    Point your browser ( set you http proxy to ) localhost:8080 and start
    the perl script ( preferably under emacs or using tee ).
    Then go to the web page, enter a fake but easily grepable user and
    passwd. HTTPSniffer prints the headers you send so just grep the
    output for where the user and passwd went.
  • Hamish Lawson at Jan 9, 2001 at 3:56 pm

    Paul Goodyear wrote:

    I know for well that the password is correct
    I realise I may be stating the obvious, but when you say that you know
    that the password is correct, does this mean that you have actually
    been able to access the page using an ordinary browser?

    Hamish Lawson

    Sent via Deja.com
    http://www.deja.com/

grouppython-list @