I frequent the Samba mailing list. A couple of days ago Richard Sharp
put together an smbclient.so library of client functions for SMB. SMB
is Microsoft's native file and print sharing protocol. Someone wrote a
Perl module using it. I just thought one of you guys might want to do the
same for Python. Seems only natrual since there's a nice little library
all packaged up with open(), read(), write(), ...etc all setup easy like.

Mike

--
signature pending

Search Discussions

  • Armin Steinhoff at Dec 31, 2000 at 10:26 am
    In article <slrn94trot.b73.mballen at angus.foo.net>, mballen at erols.com says...
    put together an smbclient.so library of client functions for SMB. SMB
    is Microsoft's native file and print sharing protocol. Someone wrote a
    Perl module using it. I just thought one of you guys might want to do the
    same for Python. Seems only natrual since there's a nice little library
    all packaged up with open(), read(), write(), ...etc all setup easy like.
    Makes no sense, because a SMB client mapps normaly a M$ volume to a directory
    tree (UNIX) or a virtual drive (M$) ... I don't see in that case any tasks for
    Python.

    Armin

    Python in real-time: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyqnx
  • Michael Ströder at Dec 31, 2000 at 1:57 pm

    In article <slrn94trot.b73.mballen at angus.foo.net>, mballen at erols.com
    says...
    smbclient.so [..] Perl module using it.
    I just thought one of you guys might want to do the
    same for Python.
    Makes no sense, because a SMB client mapps normaly a M$ volume to a
    directory tree (UNIX) or a virtual drive (M$) ...
    SMB means Server Message Block. SMB is a application level protocol
    which is not only used for file and printer sharing.
    I don't see in that case any tasks for Python.
    How about password stuff, naming service, locating shares etc.? Just
    primitive examples because I'm not a SMB expert. But I think it
    would make sense to provide a Python binding for this smbclient.so.

    Ciao, Michael.
  • Michael B. Allen at Jan 1, 2001 at 2:17 am

    Michael Str?der wrote:
    which is not only used for file and printer sharing.
    Well, it doesn't look like smbclient.so does anything but basic file
    operations at the moment.
    How about password stuff, naming service, locating shares etc.? Just
    There's no "password stuff" other than what is necessary to authenticate
    with a target service. I believe the plan for it, if it does not do
    this already, is to list hosts/shares/files/directories and basic file
    operations. I think the idea is that it will be used in some kind of
    Network Neighborhood/Explorer like GTK+ app for Linux but I have looked
    at the code and the API is very general:

    smbc_open, smbc_creat, smbc_read, smbc_write, smbc_close, smbc_unlink,
    smbc_rename, smbc_lseek, smbc_stat, smbc_fstat, smbc_chown, smbc_chmod,
    smbc_opendir, smbc_closedir, smbc_getdents, smbc_mkdir, smbc_lseekdir

    Mike

    --
    signature pending
  • Daniel Dittmar at Dec 31, 2000 at 4:48 pm

    Makes no sense, because a SMB client mapps normaly a M$ volume to a directory
    tree (UNIX) or a virtual drive (M$) ... I don't see in that case any tasks for
    Python.
    Makes the same sense as ftplib: you want to access files on a host which
    exports them in a specific way.

    Daniel Dittmar
  • Armin Steinhoff at Jan 1, 2001 at 10:15 am
    In article <3A4F6374.1A6C549F at dittmar.net>, Daniel says...
    Makes no sense, because a SMB client mapps normaly a M$ volume to a directory
    tree (UNIX) or a virtual drive (M$) ... I don't see in that case any tasks for
    Python.
    Makes the same sense as ftplib: you want to access files on a host which
    exports them in a specific way.
    Hmm ... when I have mapped a SMB volume to my directory tree at /tmp ... I make
    just e.g. an f=open('/tmp/workfile', 'w').

    I believe that's different to a FTP like file handling ...

    Armin

    Happy New Year to ALL
  • Michael B. Allen at Jan 1, 2001 at 1:55 am

    Armin Steinhoff wrote:
    In article <slrn94trot.b73.mballen at angus.foo.net>, mballen at erols.com says...
    I frequent the Samba mailing list. A couple of days ago Richard Sharp
    put together an smbclient.so library of client functions for SMB. SMB
    is Microsoft's native file and print sharing protocol. Someone wrote a
    Perl module using it. I just thought one of you guys might want to do the
    same for Python. Seems only natrual since there's a nice little library
    all packaged up with open(), read(), write(), ...etc all setup easy like.
    Makes no sense, because a SMB client mapps normaly a M$ volume to a directory
    tree (UNIX) or a virtual drive (M$) ... I don't see in that case any tasks for
    Python.
    I'm not really sure what your talking about Armin. SMB Servers are file
    servers like ftp, http, nfs, ...etc. It just happends to be by far the
    most popular.

    And if you have people are dedicated to MS, as many are, then having this
    tool might be crucial to allowing you to work in a UNIX environment if
    that's what you prefer. I do.

    Mike

    --
    signature pending
  • Armin Steinhoff at Jan 1, 2001 at 10:05 am
    put together an smbclient.so library of client functions for SMB. SMB
    is Microsoft's native file and print sharing protocol. Someone wrote a
    Perl module using it. I just thought one of you guys might want to do the
    same for Python. Seems only natrual since there's a nice little library
    all packaged up with open(), read(), write(), ...etc all setup easy like.
    Makes no sense, because a SMB client mapps normaly a M$ volume to a directory
    tree (UNIX) or a virtual drive (M$) ... I don't see in that case any tasks for
    Python.
    I'm not really sure what your talking about Armin.
    See above ... SMB clients :)
    SMB Servers are file
    servers like ftp, http, nfs, ...etc. It just happends to be by far the
    most popular.

    And if you have people are dedicated to MS, as many are, then having this
    tool might be crucial to allowing you to work in a UNIX environment if
    that's what you prefer. I do.
    Ditto ... we use SMB clients to map SMB volumes (M$, UNIX) and we run SMB
    servers (M$, UNIX) to offer SMB volumes.

    BTW .. the 'SAMBA' SMB server works with WinXY and UNIX and it is FREE!

    See http://www.samba.org

    Armin

    Mike

    --
    signature pending
  • Vassilis Virvilis at Jan 1, 2001 at 1:50 pm