On red hat 7.0 with python 1.6 I am running into overflow problems.

Search Discussions

  • Andrew Kuchling at Dec 4, 2000 at 9:22 pm

    Ram Bhamidipaty <ramb at synopsys.com> writes:
    there is a fix....but I have not been able to find it. Is there
    a patch that I should apply to upgrade my 1.6 source to the
    latest version?
    This is because of the broken glibc that Red Hat shipped with 7.0; see
    the brief Python 2.0 FAQ at
    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/FrequentlyAskedQuestions . The
    fix is to get the updated glibc RPM from Red Hat's errata page and
    install it.
    This leads to a larger question: Which version is being maintained?
    Is active developement taking place for both 1.6 and 2.0? I've been
    2.0. 1.6 is basically the state of the Python CVS tree as of when the
    developers left CNRI in May 2000, plus a minimal set of bug and
    compatibility fixes. 2.0 is the CVS tree with some extra months of
    development, so there are more bugfixes and more new features.
    There's no real reason to stick with 1.6; I'm not aware of any
    instabilities that 2.0 introduced. (If anyone knows of such, *please*
    report the problem!)

    --amk
  • Aahz Maruch at Dec 4, 2000 at 10:46 pm
    In article <ghaelzoc9lp.fsf at synopsys.com>,
    Ram Bhamidipaty wrote:
    This leads to a larger question: Which version is being maintained?
    Is active developement taking place for both 1.6 and 2.0? I've been
    using 1.6 because the features in 2.0 seem like they involve bigger
    changes to the code base and I thought I should wait until the
    initial bugs are worked out. But if all new work is only going
    into the 2.x versions then I should probably stop using 1.6...
    Use Python 2.0. Period.

    Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het <*> http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
    Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

    "Just because I'm selling you into slavery doesn't mean we can't be
    friends." B-movie cliche Hall of Fame (_Bounty Hunter: 2002_)
  • Tim Peters at Dec 5, 2000 at 12:45 am
    [posted & mailed]

    [Ram Bhamidipaty]
    On red hat 7.0 with python 1.6 I am running into overflow problems.

    From looking at the bug database at sourceforge I can see
    that other people have run into this, and it looks like
    there is a fix....but I have not been able to find it. Is there
    a patch that I should apply to upgrade my 1.6 source to the
    latest version?
    It's not a Python problem so there's not a Python patch. See "LONG_BIT
    Error" at

    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

    for a workaround. I have heard (but don't know for a fact) that Red Hat is
    shipping their own critical patches to 7.0 that fix this problem (among
    others -- they shipped a development snapshot of gcc with 7.0, which they
    should not have done).
    This leads to a larger question: Which version is being maintained?
    Is active developement taking place for both 1.6 and 2.0?
    No, just for 2.0.
    I've been using 1.6 because the features in 2.0 seem like they
    involve bigger changes to the code base and I thought I should
    wait until the initial bugs are worked out.
    Well, that's ironic: the bugs in new 1.6 features were worked out in 2.0
    <wink>.
  • Remco Gerlich at Dec 5, 2000 at 2:02 am

    Ram Bhamidipaty <ramb at synopsys.com> wrote in comp.lang.python:
    On red hat 7.0 with python 1.6 I am running into overflow problems.

    From looking at the bug database at sourceforge I can see
    that other people have run into this, and it looks like
    there is a fix....but I have not been able to find it. Is there
    a patch that I should apply to upgrade my 1.6 source to the
    latest version?
    You should probably upgrade to 2.0. What sort of overflow problems
    are you running into, btw?
    This leads to a larger question: Which version is being maintained?
    Is active developement taking place for both 1.6 and 2.0? I've been
    using 1.6 because the features in 2.0 seem like they involve bigger
    changes to the code base and I thought I should wait until the
    initial bugs are worked out. But if all new work is only going
    into the 2.x versions then I should probably stop using 1.6...

    Any thoughts?
    The only reason 1.6 ever came out was that CNRI, the old copyright holders,
    wanted a version with a license they regarded as good. When it came out,
    development had already progressed much further at BeOpen.

    2.0 is the current Python version. There might be some bugs in it, but
    I'd expect there to be a lot more in 1.6. Version 1.5.2 was really stable,
    and 2.0 is good.

    --
    Remco Gerlich

grouppython-list @