For someone like me, experiementing with the language, is 1.6's beta release
worth investigating? I'm ready to pull my hair out over my current
PyThread_acquire_lock problem (it's not found anywhere in 1.5.2, but _tkinter
wants it...).

Search Discussions

  • Guido van Rossum at Aug 2, 2000 at 4:11 am

    Thomas Gagne <tgagne at ix.netcom.com> writes:

    For someone like me, experiementing with the language, is 1.6's beta release
    worth investigating? I'm ready to pull my hair out over my current
    PyThread_acquire_lock problem (it's not found anywhere in 1.5.2, but _tkinter
    wants it...).
    This is probably because you have (or someone else has) compiled
    _tkinter.c with the threading option but the main Python code
    without. _tkinter certainly works just fine in 1.5.2 when everything
    is built together!

    If you want to play with 1.6, go to the Python project at SourceForge
    (http://sourceforge.net/projects/python/). The head revision code
    there is actually bound Python 2.0; we're reconstructing 1.6 as a
    branch.

    --Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.pythonlabs.com/~guido/)
  • Jeremy Hylton at Aug 2, 2000 at 4:43 am

    Thomas Gagne <tgagne at ix.netcom.com> writes:

    For someone like me, experiementing with the language, is 1.6's beta release
    worth investigating? I'm ready to pull my hair out over my current
    PyThread_acquire_lock problem (it's not found anywhere in 1.5.2, but _tkinter
    wants it...).
    Why don't you get a copy of the current CVS tree? The current
    codebase is closer to 2.0 than to 1.6.

    Jeremy

    -- Jeremy Hylton <http://www.python.org/~jeremy/>

grouppython-list @