I'm thinking of embedding the Python interpreter in my wxWindows app, or
else using wxPython to host my app. I can think of various pros & cons.

Pros of using wxWindows + Python:

Existing C++ code can be used as is.
Users don't have to install Python.
Possibly easier to create .exe app.
More classes available on wxWindows. (not important for my app).
A Mac version of wxWindows exists (sort of).

Pros of using wxPython:

Python code is simpler.
Best to base app on Python.
Python is the wave of the future, etc.
Better widgets may be available w/ Python.
Easier to add scripting support.
Easier to use existing scripts.

What do you all think of the choices? Are any of these points invalid?
Anything I've missed?

Thanks,

Edward
Edward K. Ream email: edream at tds.net
Leo: Literate Editor with Outlines
Leo: http://personalpages.tds.net/~edream/front.html

  • Warren Postma at Jul 7, 2000 at 1:25 pm

    Hi,

    I'm thinking of embedding the Python interpreter in my wxWindows app, or
    else using wxPython to host my app. I can think of various pros & cons.
    If I was doing that, I would start in Python, because it's certainly better
    to prototype in Python,
    and then I would consider writing C extensions for the Python app as an
    "accelerator" once a
    well known function exists that you could boil down to C code.

    The eventual third alternative is to do BOTH. Write your C++ app in
    wxWindows, and also use wxPython.
    I haven't tried this personally, but I suppose I'll end up doing something
    like it if I ever have an application grow
    large enough.

    Warren

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedJul 6, '00 at 9:47p
activeJul 7, '00 at 1:25p
websitepython.org

2 users in discussion

Warren Postma: 1 post Edward K. Ream: 1 post