I run CGI scripts on a real machine, but I also run some on IIS on an NT
machine.

To configure IIS to know that .cgi files should run Python, I (long ago)
followed Aaron Watters' instructions, and added a "ScriptMap" parameter
in the Windows registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
System
CurrentControlSet
W3SVC
Parameters
ScriptMap
.cgi -> C:\Program Files\Python\Python.exe
%s %s

Worked just fine for a good long time.

The other day, I downloaded 1.6a2 and installed it on the PC. BUT...not
at the
same location -- I installed it in the directory D:\Python16

I figured that changing the above registry entry to
"D:\Python16\\python.exe %s %s"
would be all I needed to do and my Python .cgi code would run using 1.6.

Long story short(er), it didn't work. My .cgi code still runs using the
1.5.2 version
that is in C:\Program Files\Python. Honest. I made the registry change
(I promise) and even rebooted. Twice to be sure.

Anyone know why my registry change hasn't affected IIS yet?

(Oh, I also -- though this shouldn't matter -- made sure to update my
%PATH%
in my autoexec.bat -- now when I type Python at an MS-DOS prompt, I get
1.6a2.)

Let me know. Thanks,
Manus

Search Discussions

  • Pieter Claerhout at Apr 18, 2000 at 2:08 am
    If you go to the Internet Services Manager, and you select a web
    application, you can edit the application options (in IIS 4 or higher,
    a webapp is a folder with the blue icon). If you go to the home directory
    tab, you can click on the configure button to change the settings for your
    application. If you go there to the App Mapping tabs, to what points the
    extension .cgi? My guess it that it's pointing to the python 1.5
    executable and not to the 1.6 executable.

    Kind regards,

    Pieter

[...]

  • Manus Hand at Apr 18, 2000 at 5:51 am

    Pieter Claerhout wrote:
    If you go to the Internet Services Manager, and you select a web
    application, you can edit the application options (in IIS 4 or higher,
    a webapp is a folder with the blue icon). If you go to the home directory
    tab, you can click on the configure button to change the settings for your
    application. If you go there to the App Mapping tabs, to what points the
    extension .cgi? My guess it that it's pointing to the python 1.5
    executable and not to the 1.6 executable.
    I'll check that when I get to work in the morning. Thanks for the
    pointer.
    I failed to consider that the IIS Mgr apps might be overriding the
    registry setting. I'll let you know if this turns the trick.

    Manus
  • Manus Hand at Apr 18, 2000 at 2:42 pm
    Thanks, Pieter!

    That was indeed the problem. My IIS Mgr settings still had the 1.5.2
    installation listed. (Makes me wonder how important the registry
    setting is in NT.)

    Manus
  • Manus Hand at Apr 18, 2000 at 2:42 pm
    Thanks, Pieter!

    That was indeed the problem. My IIS Mgr settings still had the 1.5.2
    installation listed. (Makes me wonder how important the registry
    setting is in NT.)

    Manus

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedApr 17, '00 at 5:58p
activeApr 18, '00 at 2:42p
websitepython.org

2 users in discussion

Manus Hand: 4 posts Pieter Claerhout: 1 post