I just upgraded from 1.0b8 to the 1.0 release, and everything went
remarkably well. .... except for one thing - the symbolic links for
public archives isn't created.

I did read of similar articles in Jan 99's archives, and previously it
worked (no its not the followsymlink problem), but now the sym link
isn't created or removed. As both my mailman user and web server user, I
manually created the sym links and all was ok - but then changing the
list setting from public to private left the link there. I went back and
forth setting various lists to and from public/private and it didn't
work.

I checked $prefix/logs/error and that was empty. I checked the relevant
syslog (we trap all mail messages to mail.log) and no errors were
present. I'm lost - it just won't make the sym link, and if it exists,
it won't remove it.... any ideas??

Thanks

scott

Search Discussions

  • Scott Kinnane at Aug 4, 1999 at 8:35 am
    I've sort have solved the problem ... or at least I know Mailman isn't
    to blame (damn :) ) - apologies for any confusion caused.

    Part of the problem was not only did I upgrade, but I also moved the
    archives (or rather copied to start with) of existing mailing lists. As
    best as I can tell, the config.db for each list tells mailman where the
    archive directory is.

    Is there any easy way I can update these config files to point to the
    new archive location? I only have 6 lists at this stage, so doing it
    manually isn't a problem. I tried doing a "make update" - after backing
    up everything, but that just broke it really well, so I restored the
    config.db files and then all was back to where I was - having mailman
    looking at the wrong directory for archives.

    Help anyone ...

    scott
  • Todd Pfaff at Aug 4, 1999 at 2:03 pm

    Part of the problem was not only did I upgrade, but I also moved the
    archives (or rather copied to start with) of existing mailing lists. As
    best as I can tell, the config.db for each list tells mailman where the
    archive directory is.

    Is there any easy way I can update these config files to point to the
    new archive location? I only have 6 lists at this stage, so doing it
    manually isn't a problem. I tried doing a "make update" - after backing
    up everything, but that just broke it really well, so I restored the
    config.db files and then all was back to where I was - having mailman
    looking at the wrong directory for archives.
    On a related note, are there utilities for converting the config.db file
    to and from plain text, so that the text can be edited?

    Todd Pfaff \ Email: pfaff at mcmaster.ca
    Computing and Information Services \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920
    ABB 132 \ FAX: (905) 528-3773
    McMaster University \
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4M1 \

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedAug 4, '99 at 7:47a
activeAug 4, '99 at 2:03p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Scott Kinnane: 2 posts Todd Pfaff: 1 post