FAQ
Please email me any response directly, as I'm not subscribed to the list.

I'm having a problem with Mailman 1.0rc3. After a myriad of changes to
the server that my Mailman installation is running (mostly involving
Apache, ApacheSSL, and other related items), I am unable to make changes
in any of the admin or admindb pages, unless I am accessing the pages from
the same machine. The pages, also, aren't using the password stored in
the cookie on my browser (yes, I've verified that cookies are on). Even
after attempting to submit a change, I am prompted for the admin password.

When trying to attend to items in the admindb, the same occurs, but the
"Database Updated" message also appears at the top of the page. Of
course, the database wasn't really updated.

The member pages still update just fine. Changes made do occur.

The installation is running on a Linux (Redhat 5.1) system.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT | OTAKON 1999
mryan at netaxs.com | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35 A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan at unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)

Search Discussions

  • Ricardo Kustner at Jul 16, 1999 at 5:33 am
    Hi,
    On 16-Jul-99 Michael W. Ryan wrote:
    the same machine. The pages, also, aren't using the password stored in
    the cookie on my browser (yes, I've verified that cookies are on). Even
    after attempting to submit a change, I am prompted for the admin password.
    When trying to attend to items in the admindb, the same occurs, but the
    "Database Updated" message also appears at the top of the page. Of
    course, the database wasn't really updated.
    The installation is running on a Linux (Redhat 5.1) system.
    Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
    just a shot in the dark.... is the system time on the server still ok? thats the
    only reason i can think of why it only works when accessing the pages from the
    same computer... a wrong system time can mean that cookies expire immediately if
    accessed from a different machine.

    Ricardo.

    --
  • Michael W. Ryan at Jul 16, 1999 at 1:19 pm

    On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Ricardo Kustner wrote:

    just a shot in the dark.... is the system time on the server still ok? thats the
    only reason i can think of why it only works when accessing the pages from the
    same computer... a wrong system time can mean that cookies expire immediately if
    accessed from a different machine.
    The clock appears to be about 5 hours fast; however, keep in mind that
    it's also not taking administrative changes.

    Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT | OTAKON 1999
    mryan at netaxs.com | Convention of Otaku Generation
    http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

    PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35 A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
    PGP public key available by fingering mryan at unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)
  • Barry A. Warsaw at Jul 16, 1999 at 2:21 pm
    "MWR" == Michael W Ryan <mryan at netaxs.com> writes:
    MWR> The clock appears to be about 5 hours fast; however, keep in
    MWR> mind that it's also not taking administrative changes.

    Add this to your Mailman/mm_cfg.py file:

    -------------------- snip snip --------------------
    # How long the cookie authorizing administrative changes via the admin cgi
    # lasts before it needs to be reauthenticated (ie, password demanded).
    ADMIN_COOKIE_LIFE = 60 * 60 * 3 # 3 hours
    -------------------- snip snip --------------------

    Set the value to something appropriate for your situation (i.e. > 5
    hours :)

    -Barry
  • Michael W. Ryan at Jul 16, 1999 at 2:46 pm
    My apologies about my first disagreement. I tried updating the system
    date, and that appears to have fixed my problem. :)

    Thanks for the help, everyone.

    Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT | OTAKON 1999
    mryan at netaxs.com | Convention of Otaku Generation
    http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

    PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35 A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
    PGP public key available by fingering mryan at unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)
  • Clark Cameron Evans at Jul 16, 1999 at 5:41 pm
    Hello.Peroidically I have made it a habit to
    go through my lists and unsubscribe
    disabled mailing list people (since I get
    about 10-20 disable notifactoins per month).

    I was wondering if the "user-disable" vs
    the "auto-disable" could be seperated
    so that I do not unsubscribe someone
    who disabled themselves?

    They subscribed twice, once from
    home and once from work. They disabled
    the home delivery, but wanted home
    delivery enabled so that they could
    post to the subscriber-only list.

    Better yet, is there a way for those
    lists that have been auto-disabled to
    be automatically unsubscribed instead?

    Thanks!

    Clark
  • Tom Bryan at Jul 17, 1999 at 12:19 am

    On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Clark Cameron Evans wrote:

    Hello.Peroidically I have made it a habit to
    go through my lists and unsubscribe
    disabled mailing list people (since I get
    about 10-20 disable notifactoins per month).
    [...cut...]
    Better yet, is there a way for those
    lists that have been auto-disabled to
    be automatically unsubscribed instead?
    There is a setting on the "Bounce Optoins" page of the admin site for the
    list for "Action when critical or excessive bounces are detected." Mine
    is set to "Disable and notify me," but "Remove and notify me" is one of
    the options. Maybe you could try that. (Are accounts only auto-disabled
    because of bounce messages?)

    ---Tom

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJul 16, '99 at 1:14a
activeJul 17, '99 at 12:19a
posts7
users5
websitelist.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase