Just to let everyone know how this one turned out:
On Wed, Jun 03, 1998 at 07:44:11PM -0400, Corbett Klempay wrote:

1)
Cron is giving me this every 5 minutes: [...]
Traceback (innermost last):
File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 41, in ?
file = open(os.path.join(mm_cfg.DATA_DIR, "gate_watermarks.last"),
"w")
IOError: (13, 'Permission denied')
Mailman was installed w/ group user instead of group mailman.
2)
And I'm getting a 403 Forbidden on the test list...I'm thinking this might
be related to the other admin installing cgi-wrap...I'm not too keen on
how it works.
The problem here was that /home/mailman needed to be "chmod a+rx"'d.
That one should be mentioned in the install document!

John

Search Discussions

  • Barry A. Warsaw at Jun 4, 1998 at 3:12 pm
    "JV" == John Viega <viega at list.org> writes:
    JV> Mailman was installed w/ group user instead of group mailman.

    Do you mean that $prefix wasn't chgrp'd mailman and chmod'd g+s?

    I'd really like to know if those instructions in the INSTALL are
    incorrect or not. If they just overlooked, then I can write a test to
    guarantee that's set up correctly.

    JV> The problem here was that /home/mailman needed to be "chmod
    JV> a+rx"'d. That one should be mentioned in the install
    JV> document!

    Okay, here's what the INSTALL doc will say about setting up $prefix:

    Make sure this directory is set to group `mailman' and has the
    group sticky bit set. You probably also want to guarantee that
    this directory is read and executeable by everyone. For example,
    these shell commands will accomplish this:

    % cd $prefix
    % chgrp mailman .
    % chmod a+rx,g+s .

    -Barry
  • John Viega at Jun 4, 1998 at 3:15 pm

    On Thu, Jun 04, 1998 at 11:12:34AM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
    "JV" == John Viega <viega at list.org> writes:
    JV> Mailman was installed w/ group user instead of group mailman.

    Do you mean that $prefix wasn't chgrp'd mailman and chmod'd g+s?
    Yeah, I think that it may have been a case of skimming through the
    install docs, which I'm sure we've all done before!

    John
  • Barry A. Warsaw at Jun 4, 1998 at 3:27 pm
    "JV" == John Viega <viega at list.org> writes:
    JV> Yeah, I think that it may have been a case of skimming through
    JV> the install docs, which I'm sure we've all done before!

    Yeah, I've been guilty too! Well, I'll add an explicit check
    (someplace). Much better for configure or make install to barf and
    point you at the documentation, then to just let people screw
    themselves. ;-)

    -Barry

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJun 4, '98 at 5:47a
activeJun 4, '98 at 3:27p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

John Viega: 2 posts Barry A. Warsaw: 2 posts