All --

I am in the early planning stages for migrating my largest mailing list (over 50K) to mailman and have a few questions that will be coming in the next few weeks. Here's the first:

1) I have both digest and non-digest members. What are the options for transferring these members into mailman? (Email, Mass Subscribe upload page, command line, etc.) any preferences to preserve their original digest choice?

Does it make any sense to create two new lists (one digest-only, one non-digest-only) and import the members into two new lists? (This doesn't sound right, but....)

Thank in advance,
Drew Tenenholz

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jun 9, 2011 at 9:04 pm

    Drew Tenenholz wrote:
    1) I have both digest and non-digest members. What are the options for transferring these members into mailman? (Email, Mass Subscribe upload page, command line, etc.) any preferences to preserve their original digest choice?

    Make two files, one containing the regular (non-digest) members and the
    other containing the digest members. These files contain one member
    per line in a format like:

    Joe Cool (see http://wiki.list.org/x/YoA9 for other formatting options).

    Then, from the command line

    bin/add_members -r regular_file -d digest_file -w y -a n listname

    See "bin/add_members --help" for a description of the options.

    You can also do this from the web admin mass subscribe page, but it
    isn't recommended because it's more cumbersome and with tens of
    thousands of members, will probably time out.

    To do it, first set Digest options -> digest_is_default to Digest and
    upload your digest file to the Membership Management... -> Mass
    Subscription page; then set Digest options -> digest_is_default to
    Regular and upload your regular file to the Membership Management...
    -> Mass Subscription page.

    Does it make any sense to create two new lists (one digest-only, one non-digest-only) and import the members into two new lists? (This doesn't sound right, but....)

    No, it does not make sense.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJun 9, '11 at 8:27p
activeJun 9, '11 at 9:04p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 1 post Drew Tenenholz: 1 post