We are hosting our website on a different web host than the email and Mailman
mailing lists. This is causing problems with the Admin side of Mailman as
the DNS servers point to the web site host and not the mail host. I can get
around it for much of the admin tasks by changing the URL to the IP address
except for some (i.e. moderating). Is there someplace in Mailman where I can
input the IP address so it always goes there instead of the normal URL (i.e.
website.com)?

TIA!

  • Jeff Grossman at May 31, 2011 at 3:26 am

    We are hosting our website on a different web host than the email and
    Mailman
    mailing lists. This is causing problems with the Admin side of Mailman as
    the DNS servers point to the web site host and not the mail host. I can get
    around it for much of the admin tasks by changing the URL to the IP address
    except for some (i.e. moderating). Is there someplace in Mailman where I
    can
    input the IP address so it always goes there instead of the normal URL
    (i.e.
    website.com)?

    TIA!
    I don't have an answer to your question, but do you have access to your
    DNS servers? If so, I would recommend you create a host address like
    lists.example.com and have that point to your e-mail server. That way all
    of your url redirects will work correctly.

    Jeff
  • Mark Sapiro at May 31, 2011 at 4:07 am

    We are hosting our website on a different web host than the email and Mailman
    mailing lists. This is causing problems with the Admin side of Mailman as
    the DNS servers point to the web site host and not the mail host. I can get
    around it for much of the admin tasks by changing the URL to the IP address
    except for some (i.e. moderating). Is there someplace in Mailman where I can
    input the IP address so it always goes there instead of the normal URL (i.e.
    website.com)?

    set

    DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'

    in mm_cfg.py where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address. If there is
    already a setting of DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST in
    mm_cfg.py followed by

    just change the DEFAULT_URL_HOST setting. Otherwise see the FAQ at
    <http://wiki.list.org/x/gIA9>.

    In either case, after changing mm_cfg.py, restart Mailman and run
    fix_url - see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/mIA9>.

    San Francisco Bay Area, California Better use your sense - B. Dylan

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedMay 30, '11 at 8:19p
activeMay 31, '11 at 4:07a