Note, running Debian Stable on the server.

I'm attempting to update Mailman through aptitude, but it warns me that
all files in the qfiles tree will be wiped out. This includes files that
have been bouncing back and forth between qfiles/out and qfiles/retry.
It's not quite clear as to when these messages have landed there.

Moreover, I noted that I have a good sized stack of messages in
qfiles/bad - which I'm not too worried about, since the dates are pretty
old.

In short, what is the best way to proceed, given the circumstances?

-Dennis

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 29, 2011 at 12:28 am

    Dennis Carr wrote:
    I'm attempting to update Mailman through aptitude, but it warns me that
    all files in the qfiles tree will be wiped out. This includes files that
    have been bouncing back and forth between qfiles/out and qfiles/retry.
    It's not quite clear as to when these messages have landed there.

    Move the files from qfiles/retry aside somewhere. You may need to do
    this more than once if files have been moved from retry to out for
    processing and haven't finished.

    Moreover, I noted that I have a good sized stack of messages in
    qfiles/bad - which I'm not too worried about, since the dates are pretty
    old.

    See the posts at
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2011-April/071484.html>
    and
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2011-April/071486.html>
    for information about the qfiles/bad entries. You can move these aside
    too if you wish, or just look at them in place, or ignore them.

    Look at the files from the retry queue with 'bin/dumpdb -p'. This will
    show you the message and the metadata. The metadata contains the
    undelivered recipient list. If the addresses are in fact bad, you can
    just ignore that file, but you might want to consider whether you want
    your MTA to be returning a retryable status for these addresses.
    (Hint: if this is Postfix, you may want to set
    'unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550' in main.cf.)

    If there are any you want to keep from qfiles/retry, you can move them
    back after the upgrade.

    There is no point in moving back any qfiles/bad files as they have only
    been saved for forensic analysis and nothing further will be done with
    them by Mailman.

  • Barry Finkel at Apr 29, 2011 at 12:34 pm

    Note, running Debian Stable on the server.

    I'm attempting to update Mailman through aptitude, but it warns me that
    all files in the qfiles tree will be wiped out. This includes files that
    have been bouncing back and forth between qfiles/out and qfiles/retry.
    It's not quite clear as to when these messages have landed there.

    Moreover, I noted that I have a good sized stack of messages in
    qfiles/bad - which I'm not too worried about, since the dates are pretty
    old.

    In short, what is the best way to proceed, given the circumstances?

    -Dennis
    I had a problem with qfiles/bad the last time I tried to update.
    After research, I determined that those files were old and
    could be deleted. I now run a cron every morning to tell me
    what is in qfiles/bad so that I can research and handle before
    they cause problems.

    Barry S. Finkel
    Argonne National Laboratory Phone: +1 (630) 252-7277
    9700 South Cass Avenue Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-4601
    Building 240, Room 5.B.8 Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov
    Argonne, IL 60439-4828 IBMMAIL: I1004994
  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 29, 2011 at 2:15 pm

    Barry Finkel wrote:
    I had a problem with qfiles/bad the last time I tried to update.
    After research, I determined that those files were old and
    could be deleted. I now run a cron every morning to tell me
    what is in qfiles/bad so that I can research and handle before
    they cause problems.

    It seems that whenever you upgraded Mailman from pre-2.1.11 to 2.1.11
    or later, you didn't update Mailman's crontab to run the
    cron/cull_bad_shunt job.

    See
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2011-April/071486.html>.

groupmailman-users @