http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId@30545 seems to
suggest that it's possible to enable personalization (for headers /
footers of messages), without enabling VERP itself (for the
envelope-sender of messages).

Is that correct? Some of the mailing list messages I have seen seem to
imply that you have to also

Also, is it possible to toggle personalization under the hood (using
withlist / config_list to set 'mlist.personalize = 2') /without/
enabling OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION globally? I have a case where
I'd like to enable personalization for a couple of lists without
allowing any other list owners to enable this feature.

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 28, 2011 at 12:43 am

    William Yardley wrote:
    http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId@30545 seems to
    suggest that it's possible to enable personalization (for headers /
    footers of messages), without enabling VERP itself (for the
    envelope-sender of messages).

    Is that correct? Some of the mailing list messages I have seen seem to
    imply that you have to also

    Yes, that is correct. personalization and VERP are independent. The
    conflation comes because if you are already VERPing all messages,
    there is no additional sending cost for personalization, or if you are
    personalizing some messages, you can VERP those at no extra cost by
    setting VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = Yes.

    Also, is it possible to toggle personalization under the hood (using
    withlist / config_list to set 'mlist.personalize = 2') /without/
    enabling OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION globally? I have a case where
    I'd like to enable personalization for a couple of lists without
    allowing any other list owners to enable this feature.

    You can do it with withlist. You can't do it in the 'usual' way with
    config_list because config_list knows that personalize is not a
    property that can be set if OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION is
    false. You can do it with config_list by setting

    mlist.personalize = 2

    just not by setting

    personalize = 2

    However, if all you want is to enable the header/footer replacements
    and not personalize the To: header of delivered messages, you want to
    set personalize to 1, not 2.

  • William Yardley at May 3, 2011 at 9:15 pm

    Also, is it possible to toggle personalization under the hood (using
    withlist / config_list to set 'mlist.personalize = 2') /without/
    enabling OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION globally? I have a case where
    I'd like to enable personalization for a couple of lists without
    allowing any other list owners to enable this feature.
    You can do it with withlist. You can't do it in the 'usual' way with
    config_list because config_list knows that personalize is not a
    property that can be set if OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION is
    false. You can do it with config_list by setting

    mlist.personalize = 2

    just not by setting

    personalize = 2

    However, if all you want is to enable the header/footer replacements
    and not personalize the To: header of delivered messages, you want to
    set personalize to 1, not 2.
    I am pretty sure I can successfully toggle mlist.personalize with
    Mailman 2.1.9

    $ cat /tmp/configlist.in
    mlist.personalize = 0
    $ cat setpersonalization.py
    def setpersonalization (mlist):

    print mlist.personalize
    mlist.personalize = 1
    print mlist.personalize
    mlist.Save()
    $ config_list --inputfile /tmp/configlist.in testwby
    $ ./withlist -l -r setpersonalization testwby
    Importing setpersonalization...
    Running setpersonalization.setpersonalization()...

    1
    Unlocking (but not saving) list: testwby
    Finalizing
    $ version
    Using Mailman version: 2.1.9

    However, I don't get any change in the footers of list messages after
    this, nor do I see any new options available in the "non-digest options"
    page or in the available special strings in msg_footer.

    Any thoughts? Again, I don't have any personalization specific options
    set in the main config.

  • Mark Sapiro at May 4, 2011 at 12:07 am

    William Yardley wrote:
    I am pretty sure I can successfully toggle mlist.personalize with
    Mailman 2.1.9 [...]
    However, I don't get any change in the footers of list messages after
    this, nor do I see any new options available in the "non-digest options"
    page or in the available special strings in msg_footer.

    You will not see any personalize settings or documentation of
    additional replacements in the web UI because those all depend on
    OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION. However, the additional
    replacements are:

    user_address - The address of the user, coerced to lower case.
    user_delivered_to - The case-preserved address that the user is
    subscribed with.
    user_password - The user's password.
    user_name - The user's full name.
    user_optionsurl - The url to the user's option page.

    and if you have set the list's personalize attribute to 1 or 2, and you
    include any of those replacements in the list's msg_header or
    msg_footer, they should be replaced appropriately in the delivered
    messages.

    For example, you *could* put the following in msg_footer. This is
    *definitely not recommended* because despite the warning, users will
    leave this in replies and forwards, but ...

    Instant Unsubscribe - Warning! remove this link before replying or
    forwarding this message.
    <%(user_optionsurl)s?password=%(user_password)s&unsub=1&unsubconfirm=1>

  • William Yardley at May 4, 2011 at 12:13 am