Hi -

I just set up a mailing list via the host of my website. They are using
Mailman 2.1.14.

I tested it out right after I first set it up. The initial three
addresses which I placed on the list and to which I sent some test mails
all received them without problem.

So then I added a whole bunch of addresses - about 250 - which I took from
a list to which I had been sending mails via BCC. (In searching archives
of the mailman-users list, I found reference to 100 addresses as a maximum
- at least for some systems/lists, but when I did the mass subscribe, I
got no message indicating I was subscribing more than allowed.)

I sent the first mail this morning. I got a bounce request for moderation
(even though I was pretty sure I had set my own address not to require
moderation). I approved it, but the message never arrived.

I went into the membership area and definitely set my own address to not
require moderation. I sent the message out again, but have not seen any
sign of it.

I have the list set to not archive messages, but I know they're going out,
at least they're appearing in my Alpine sent-mail.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--Kathy Bilton
kathy at fred.net

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 23, 2011 at 4:44 pm

    Kathy Bilton wrote:
    I just set up a mailing list via the host of my website. They are using
    Mailman 2.1.14.

    I tested it out right after I first set it up. The initial three
    addresses which I placed on the list and to which I sent some test mails
    all received them without problem.

    So then I added a whole bunch of addresses - about 250 - which I took from
    a list to which I had been sending mails via BCC. (In searching archives
    of the mailman-users list, I found reference to 100 addresses as a maximum
    - at least for some systems/lists, but when I did the mass subscribe, I
    got no message indicating I was subscribing more than allowed.)

    Mailman has no built in limits on the number of list members. See the
    FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/NoA9>.

    Some web hosing services that offer Mailman as an 'afterthought' place
    various restrictions on sending mail that impact Mailman's use for
    lists exceeding some size or message volume, but that is an issue with
    the particular host's policies, not with Mailman per se.

    I sent the first mail this morning. I got a bounce request for moderation
    (even though I was pretty sure I had set my own address not to require
    moderation). I approved it, but the message never arrived.

    What was the reason for which the message was held?

    How do you know it never arrived after you approved it? (If your
    address is a Googlemail address, see the FAQ at
    <http://wiki.list.org/x/2IA9>).

    I went into the membership area and definitely set my own address to not
    require moderation. I sent the message out again, but have not seen any
    sign of it.

    I have the list set to not archive messages, but I know they're going out,
    at least they're appearing in my Alpine sent-mail.

    That only says the posts got sent to the list. It doesn't prove the
    list received them, but since you did get at least one held message
    notice from the list, it is probably safe to assume they reach the
    list.

    Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

    This is something that probably only the hosting service can
    diagnose/resolve. There are a few items in the FAQ at
    <http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9> that might be relevant, but basically,
    since a small list worked, most things are probably OK. The host
    admins can check Mailman's 'smtp' log to verify the the messages are
    being sent from Mailman to the outgoing MTA and Mailman's
    'smtp-failure' and 'bounce' logs for delivery problems reported to
    Mailman, and the MTA's logs to see what's happening to the messages
    after delivery from Mailman to the MTA.

    If they wish to pursue this, they can ask this list for help, and we
    will do our best to provide it.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedApr 23, '11 at 4:08a
activeApr 23, '11 at 4:44p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Kathy Bilton: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post