Running this on Debian Lenny, pending an upgrade.

I just discovered that there are hundreds of files in qfiles/bad for some
reason. The manual tells me nothing, except some basic installation
troubleshooting. So this raises a few questions:

1) Any ideas as to what causes this?
2) How do I find out the exact cause?
3) What is the best way to solve the problem?

-Dennis

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 23, 2011 at 5:28 pm

    Dennis Carr wrote:
    I just discovered that there are hundreds of files in qfiles/bad for some
    reason. The manual tells me nothing, except some basic installation
    troubleshooting. So this raises a few questions:

    1) Any ideas as to what causes this?
    2) How do I find out the exact cause?
    3) What is the best way to solve the problem?

    For every one of those files, there should be an 'error' log entry
    saying most likely, "Skipping and preserving unparseable message:".

    These most likely result from malformed spam messages. You can look at
    the entries with bin/dumpdb -p.

    Other possible but unlikely messages are "SHUNTING FAILED, preserving
    original entry:" associated with a traceback, "Unpickling .bak
    exception:" and ".bak file max count, preserving file:".

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 23, 2011 at 9:09 pm

    Mark Sapiro wrote:
    Dennis Carr wrote:
    I just discovered that there are hundreds of files in qfiles/bad for some
    reason. The manual tells me nothing, except some basic installation
    troubleshooting. So this raises a few questions:

    1) Any ideas as to what causes this?
    2) How do I find out the exact cause?
    3) What is the best way to solve the problem?

    For every one of those files, there should be an 'error' log entry
    saying most likely, "Skipping and preserving unparseable message:".

    I was on my way out the door when I sent the above, so here's a bit more.

    See the documentation for the settings

    QRUNNER_SAVE_BAD_MESSAGES = Yes
    BAD_SHUNT_STALE_AFTER = days(7)
    BAD_SHUNT_ARCHIVE_DIRECTORY = None

    in Defaults.py and if the setting for BAD_SHUNT_STALE_AFTER has not been
    overridden in mm_cfg.py and there are files older than 7 days in
    qfiles/bad, make sure that Mailman's crontab is running cron/cull_bad_shunt.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedApr 23, '11 at 5:06p
activeApr 23, '11 at 9:09p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 2 posts Dennis Carr: 1 post