I am running 2.1.14, and we had a problem where a list owner
subscribed a number of persons to a list, and many of these
persons want to be unsubscribed. To catch mail directed
toward the list:

Subject: Please remove me from your list

I added a line to bounce_matching_headers

Subject: .remove.

(I placed it at the end of the Mailman-supplied lines),
and the next mail with that subject line was sent to the
list moderators. Another mail message arrived:

Subject: Again... Please remove me from this list

but this one was not diverted to the moderators. What is
wrong with my bounce_matching_headers line? Thanks.
Barry S. Finkel
Argonne National Laboratory Phone: +1 (630) 252-7277
9700 South Cass Avenue Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-4601
Building 240, Room 5.B.8 Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov
Argonne, IL 60439-4828 IBMMAIL: I1004994

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 14, 2011 at 7:50 pm
    Barry Finkel wrote
    I added a line to bounce_matching_headers

    I don't know why this didn't work unless it contains trailing
    whitespace (leading whitespace is removed before matching). However,
    if you are trying to match the 'word' remove, I would use

    Subject: \Wremove\W

    See <http://docs.python.org/library/re.html#regular-expression-syntax>

    Note that bounce_matching_headers (and header_filter_rules) are matched
    case insensitively.

  • Richard Damon at Apr 14, 2011 at 8:11 pm

    I added a line to bounce_matching_headers

    (I placed it at the end of the Mailman-supplied lines),
    and the next mail with that subject line was sent to the
    list moderators. Another mail message arrived:

    but this one was not diverted to the moderators. What is
    wrong with my bounce_matching_headers line? Thanks.
    Doesn't . only match a single character? I use filters more like

    so the .* matches any number of characters between the Subject header
    and the word.
    This filter likely will have false positives, you may want something
    more like

    Subject: .*remove.*list.*

    --
    Richard Damon
  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 14, 2011 at 8:35 pm

    Richard Damon wrote:
    Doesn't . only match a single character? I use filters more like

    so the .* matches any number of characters between the Subject header
    and the word.
    bounce_matching_headers is different from header_filter_rules. For
    header_filter_rules, you might want something like

    because the search is against all of the message's headers.

    For bounce_matching_headers,

    says search the subject header value for the pattern '.remove.' which
    ought to succeed unless 'remove is at the very beginning or end of the
    header.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedApr 14, '11 at 7:12p