Trying to add a file of type .msg as a mail attachment. Have added:

application/vnd.ms-outlook
application/msoutlook
application/octet-stream

to the content filtering: Remove message attachments that don't have a matching content type. Leave this field blank to skip this filter
test

the file get striped out. Have added .pdf, .doc, .excel to allow those file which does work.

Robert

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 7, 2011 at 7:17 pm

    rpschwar at knology.net wrote:
    Trying to add a file of type .msg as a mail attachment. Have added:

    application/vnd.ms-outlook
    application/msoutlook
    application/octet-stream

    to the content filtering: Remove message attachments that don't have a matching content type. Leave this field blank to skip this filter
    test

    You really don't want to add application/octet-stream unless you want
    to accept all sorts of potentially nasyt stuff. Neither
    application/vnd.ms-outlook nor application/msoutlook are registered
    mime types at all. See
    <http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/index.html>.

    The type you want for a message attachment is message/rfc822.

    In general, if you are trying to find the mime type to allow for a
    particular message attachment, look at the raw source of a message
    containing the attachment and find the Content-Type: header of the
    part containing the attachment.

    Note that even if you accept attached message/rfc822 parts, the
    sub-parts of that message are still subject to your content filtering
    rules.

    E.g. putting

    multipart
    message/rfc822
    text/plain

    in pass_mime_types will filter all but the text/plain parts from
    multipart and attached messages.

  • Rpschwar at Apr 7, 2011 at 8:36 pm
    That worked for adding the attachment. However, the From, To and Subject are removed.

    Robert

    On Thu 07/04/11 3:17 PM , Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net sent:
    rpschwar

    --
    Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro
    .net> The highway is for gamblers,San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 7, 2011 at 9:33 pm

    rpschwar at knology.net wrote:
    That (message/rfc822) worked for adding the attachment. However, the From, To and Subject are removed.
    I don't know if I understand what you are saying. If you are saying a
    message with an attached message/rfc822 part passed through the list's
    content filtering and all that was left of the attached part was the
    body without the headers, I don't see how that can happen.

    Try posting a message with an attached message to a test list with the
    same content filtering settings and including yourself as a Bcc:
    recipient of the post and compare the two received messages.

  • Robert P. Schwartz at Apr 7, 2011 at 10:27 pm
    Test1 is the original message with TO: FROM: and Subject:

    Robert

    That (message/rfc822) worked for adding the attachment. However, the From,
    To and Subject are removed.

    I don't know if I understand what you are saying. If you are saying a
    message with an attached message/rfc822 part passed through the list's
    content filtering and all that was left of the attached part was the
    body without the headers, I don't see how that can happen.

    Try posting a message with an attached message to a test list with the
    same content filtering settings and including yourself as a Bcc:
    recipient of the post and compare the two received messages.

  • Mark Sapiro at Apr 11, 2011 at 3:52 am

    Mark Sapiro wrote:

    rpschwar at knology.net wrote:
    That (message/rfc822) worked for adding the attachment. However, the From, To and Subject are removed.
    I don't know if I understand what you are saying. If you are saying a
    message with an attached message/rfc822 part passed through the list's
    content filtering and all that was left of the attached part was the
    body without the headers, I don't see how that can happen.

    It turns out there is a bug in content filtering which I have reported
    at <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/757062> and which see for
    more detail. The bug is that if collapse_alternatives is Yes, a
    message/rfc822 attachment will lose it's headers if it is a
    multipart/alternative message.

    This will be fixed in Mailman 2.1.15 and can be avoided by setting
    collapse_alternatives to No.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedApr 7, '11 at 5:34p
activeApr 11, '11 at 3:52a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 3 posts Robert P. Schwartz: 3 posts