Hi!

I've just set up mailman 2.1.13, my only list till now is "mailman".
Everything works fine except the thing that the sender of a message gets his
own message, too. On an other server where I run mailman that doesn't occur.
I could not find any option to set.
Anyone an idea?

Thank you!

Andreas

Search Discussions

  • Doug Gaff at Feb 3, 2011 at 8:23 pm
    I believe "not metoo" in the Membership List is the field you want to toggle to avoid your own bouncebacks.

    Doug

    I've just set up mailman 2.1.13, my only list till now is "mailman".
    Everything works fine except the thing that the sender of a message gets his
    own message, too. On an other server where I run mailman that doesn't occur.
    I could not find any option to set.
    Anyone an idea?

    Thank you!

    Andreas
  • Robert Braver at Feb 3, 2011 at 8:33 pm
    Hello Andreas,

    On Thursday, February 3, 2011, 8:43:10 AM, you wrote:

    AH> I've just set up mailman 2.1.13, my only list till now is "mailman".
    AH> Everything works fine except the thing that the sender of a message gets his
    AH> own message, too. On an other server where I run mailman that doesn't occur.
    AH> I could not find any option to set.
    AH> Anyone an idea?

    To me, this is the normal and expected behavior. If for any reason
    users do not see their own message, they assume it didn't go through
    and resend it, or email me asking what is wrong.

    This is a configurable preference each user can set. The
    administrator can set this by pulling up a user in membership
    management, and checking the "not metoo" box.

    --
    Best regards,
    Robert Braver
    rbraver at ohww.norman.ok.us
  • Doug Gaff at Feb 3, 2011 at 10:15 pm
    (forgot to copy the list)

    1) I like getting copies of my own messages. It's a "confirmation" that the message hit the server and relayed, and it keeps my response in a thread when sorting by conversation/thread in my mail client. My biggest complaint with gmail addresses is that they filter out mailing list bounce backs on purpose.

    2) On the general tab in the admin page, select "Do not send a copy of a member's own post" under new_member_options. No metoo will be automatically set.

    Doug

    seems to be the right field, now it works.
    But there come 2 new questions in my mind:

    1) Why on my other server with mailman 2.1.5 it isn't necessary to set this field active to avoid to get own messages?
    2) Is there a way to set this field active automatically?

    Thank you again!

    Andreas

    I believe "not metoo" in the Membership List is the field you want to toggle to avoid your own bouncebacks.

    Doug

    I've just set up mailman 2.1.13, my only list till now is "mailman".
    Everything works fine except the thing that the sender of a message gets his
    own message, too. On an other server where I run mailman that doesn't occur.
    I could not find any option to set.
    Anyone an idea?

    Thank you!

    Andreas
  • Andreas Hanny at Feb 3, 2011 at 10:46 pm
    Thank you again, Doug!

    Greetings from Italy

    Andreas

    2011/2/3 Doug Gaff (forgot to copy the list)