I am looking at combining several hosting accounts into a single
Virtual Private Server. One of these is being used to support a couple
of mailing list running on Mailman 2.1.9 (I know that isn't current,
but that is what they give me). The new server will be running CentOS
5, with Plesk Parallels as a control panel (I am not afraid to get
down to the command line to do things, but also would claim to be an
expert at it either, and the control panel makes some routine tasks
easier).

The question comes in that the CentOS 5 distribution only has a RPM
for Mailman 2.1.9, instead of the recently released 2.1.14, so the
question comes do I use the RPM from the distribution and run a
version several years old, or is it better to install from a direct
download. I am working of a fresh install so I don't need to worry
about migrating existing list on the server, but I definitely want to
be able to import the existing lists from the old server. (And will
probably do at least one dry run of the migration to a different
domain name just to make sure I know how to do this and that things
work before moving the live site).

Richard Damon

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jan 20, 2011 at 8:17 pm

    Richard Damon wrote:
    The question comes in that the CentOS 5 distribution only has a RPM
    for Mailman 2.1.9, instead of the recently released 2.1.14, so the
    question comes do I use the RPM from the distribution and run a
    version several years old, or is it better to install from a direct
    download.

    Quoting from the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/tIA9>

    It is possible to trick Plesk into recognizing newer versions
    installed manually but it's not for the faint of heart.

    I am working of a fresh install so I don't need to worry
    about migrating existing list on the server, but I definitely want to
    be able to import the existing lists from the old server. (And will
    probably do at least one dry run of the migration to a different
    domain name just to make sure I know how to do this and that things
    work before moving the live site).

    The actual migration of list data from the old to the new installation
    should be straightforward as long as the new installation is the same
    or a newer version. See the initial section of the FAQ at
    <http://wiki.list.org/x/2oA9>, and note that you may need to run
    fix_url to update list domains and this should be done prior to
    regenerating archives.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJan 20, '11 at 5:06a
activeJan 20, '11 at 8:17p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 1 post Richard Damon: 1 post