Hello,
Running mailman 2.1.13 on RHEL5. From what I've read, the max_message_size setting in a list will be the max size for the message text (body) plus attachment. Therefore, max_message_size setting of 1000 would be approximately a megabyte for the message and any attachments.

I've set that for all my list, but can still get a 5MB attachment to go through no problem. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!
Scott

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jan 19, 2011 at 9:21 pm

    Scott Race wrote:
    Running mailman 2.1.13 on RHEL5. From what I've read, the max_message_size setting in a list will be the max size for the message text (body) plus attachment. Therefore, max_message_size setting of 1000 would be approximately a megabyte for the message and any attachments.

    Correct.

    I've set that for all my list, but can still get a 5MB attachment to go through no problem. Is there something I'm missing?

    The setting of 1000 should cause any message whose raw size is over 1
    MB to be held for moderator approval with reason "Message body is too
    big: nnnn bytes with a limit of 1000 KB".

    This will not occur if the message is pre-approved with an Approved:
    <password> header or first body line, but should occur in other cases.
    Of course, if a moderator approves it, it will go to the list.

    If you are sure it isn't working in your case, we'd need to see an
    actual example message to figure out why. You could send me one off
    list if you wish.

  • Scott Race at Jan 20, 2011 at 12:06 am
    Ah, I see what's going on. So for the particular lists were working on, all messages to the list are held for moderation. So, it seems clicking "Accept" will accept the message, even if the message size is too big.

    We recently (4 months ago) upgraded from Debian 4 to RHEL5. On the previous box, I believe we were running Mailman 2.1.12 (not sure), messages over the max_message_size limit would not hit the list and bounce back to the user with that message.

    The company I'm working with is hoping the system can kick back messages over the max_message_size before it hits moderation. Is that possible?

    Would adding GLOBAL_PIPELINE directives to mm_cfg.py get that done?

    Thanks!
    Scott

[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at Jan 20, 2011 at 7:27 pm

    Scott Race wrote:
    Ah, I see what's going on. So for the particular lists were working on, all messages to the list are held for moderation. So, it seems clicking "Accept" will accept the message, even if the message size is too big.

    Yes, and further, if the messages are held because the poster is
    moderated, this hold is applied before any of the miscellaneous holds,
    so all you know is it is a post from a moderated member, and if you
    approve it, it is approved even if too big.

    We recently (4 months ago) upgraded from Debian 4 to RHEL5. On the previous box, I believe we were running Mailman 2.1.12 (not sure), messages over the max_message_size limit would not hit the list and bounce back to the user with that message.

    Without source modifications, the message would still be held, not
    rejected, but the user would be notified if respond_to_post_requests
    is Yes.

    The company I'm working with is hoping the system can kick back messages over the max_message_size before it hits moderation. Is that possible?

    Would adding GLOBAL_PIPELINE directives to mm_cfg.py get that done?

    Yes, you could reorder the pipeline to put Hold ahead of Moderate, but
    the downside of this is a non-member post could be held for one of the
    miscellaneous hold reasons and the moderator may not realize it's a
    non-member post.

  • Scott Race at Jan 20, 2011 at 10:12 pm
    A few final questions to figure this out:

    1. Has this always been the design? The client seems to think that on his old server the message would get kicked back before hitting the moderation queue. If so that's cool, just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

    2. To make sure I understand - if we were to use GLOBAL_PIPELINE directives in mm_cfg.py to re-order, would that mean that email addresses not signed up and confirmed as members would be able to send to the list and have it go into the modertor's queue?

    3. With a list of thousands of users, a 6MB attachment would kill our bandwidth if it went out. If we must moderate, is there any other solution other than the moderator looking at each email and deciding to kick it back due to size? Postfix limiting (ungraceful, I know)?

    Thanks!
    Scott

[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at Jan 20, 2011 at 10:45 pm

    Scott Race wrote:
    A few final questions to figure this out:

    1. Has this always been the design? The client seems to think that on his old server the message would get kicked back before hitting the moderation queue. If so that's cool, just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

    I don't know what code modifications might have been in place in the
    old server, but it has always worked this way in Mailman 2.1.x as
    distributed by the GNU Mailman project.

    2. To make sure I understand - if we were to use GLOBAL_PIPELINE directives in mm_cfg.py to re-order, would that mean that email addresses not signed up and confirmed as members would be able to send to the list and have it go into the modertor's queue?

    Yes, but only if the post were subject to any of the miscellaneous
    holds processed by Mailman/Handlers/Hold.py.

    3. With a list of thousands of users, a 6MB attachment would kill our bandwidth if it went out. If we must moderate, is there any other solution other than the moderator looking at each email and deciding to kick it back due to size? Postfix limiting (ungraceful, I know)?

    I would recommend a custom handler (see the FAQ at
    <http://wiki.list.org/x/l4A9>) to be inserted in the pipeline ahead of
    Moderate whose job would be only to reject posts that are too big.

    Alternatively, you could put Hold first, but modify it to reject
    instead of hold.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJan 19, '11 at 6:35p
activeJan 20, '11 at 10:45p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Scott Race: 3 posts Mark Sapiro: 3 posts