Please help me.

We have Mailman with Postfix (Virtual) running successfuly with small
mailing lists(i.e. Having less than just 80 mail-ids in the lists). But if
the size of the mailinglist goes beyond 80 mail-ids, it is failing to send
mails.

We have tried setting up the option "Ceiling on acceptable number of
recipients for a posting"
<http://ex1.com/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/list10/?VARHELP=privacy/recipient/max_num_recipients>
to 400, but no use.

We are getting the following error in the log file
/var/lib/mailman/logs/smtp-failure (only when list size crosses 80
email-ids)

Jan 13 11:47:18 2011 (27459) delivery to manthra.24 at gmail.com failed with
code -1: Server not connected
Same error for all the email-ids in the list

Please help me to resolve this

Thanks,
Manthra

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jan 13, 2011 at 4:58 pm

    Manthra wrote:
    We have Mailman with Postfix (Virtual) running successfuly with small
    mailing lists(i.e. Having less than just 80 mail-ids in the lists). But if
    the size of the mailinglist goes beyond 80 mail-ids, it is failing to send
    mails.

    We have tried setting up the option "Ceiling on acceptable number of
    recipients for a posting"
    <http://ex1.com/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/list10/?VARHELP=privacy/recipient/max_num_recipients>
    to 400, but no use.

    This setting has no effect whatsoever on this issue. This setting will
    cause an incoming post to be held if the number of explicit To: and
    Cc: recipient addresses equals or exceeds that number. It has nothing
    to do with how a post is delivered.

    We are getting the following error in the log file
    /var/lib/mailman/logs/smtp-failure (only when list size crosses 80
    email-ids)

    Jan 13 11:47:18 2011 (27459) delivery to manthra.24 at gmail.com failed with
    code -1: Server not connected
    Same error for all the email-ids in the list

    Something is causing Postfix to disconnect when the recipient list for
    the mail exceeds 80 addresses. My best guess is that 25% of your list
    addresses are invalid and Postfix is doing recipient address
    verification and disconnecting with a 421 error after 20 invalid
    addresses. There is a bug in the Python SMTP library
    <http://bugs.python.org/issue5713> that can cause the above error when
    this occurs.

    Regardless of whether or not the above conjecture is correct, try
    setting

    SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 20

    in mm_cfg.py and restarting Mailman. This will cause Mailman to deliver
    list mail to Postfix in separate transactions with no more than 20
    recipients each and should solve the problem.

  • Manthra at Jan 14, 2011 at 5:50 am

    <

    Cc: recipient addresses equals or exceeds that number. It has nothing
[...]

    Thank you very much.
    You are right. List has more than 30 invalid Mail-IDs.
    After inserting the line SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 20 to mm_cfg.py , it is
    working normally.
    Thank you very for this detailed information

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJan 13, '11 at 6:42a
activeJan 14, '11 at 5:50a