I've been reading the FAQ's etc and asking local advice; but I must be
doing something stoopid.

MM2.1.3 under Linux, 2.6.18-164.el5

My goal is:

a) Accept text/MIME/HTML message bodies, but deliver as text to subscribers
& archives.

b) /dev/null the attachments, both in delivery and archives.

FAQ 1.8 says:
In Mailman 2.1, on the admin page, go to the Content Filtering section.
Change "Should Mailman filter ..." to Yes. If you leave the rest at
default values, including Yes for "Should Mailman convert text/html
parts to plain text?", your list will only distribute plain text
messages with no attachments.

And I did so, but I suspect that filter_mime_types &/or pass mime type
originally had values that before/in my muddling, have been lost; both are
empty now.

Suggestions?

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jan 3, 2011 at 7:06 pm

    yahoo wrote:
    I've been reading the FAQ's etc and asking local advice; but I must be
    doing something stoopid.

    MM2.1.3 under Linux, 2.6.18-164.el5

    2.1.3? This is quite old. Current is 2.1.14.

    My goal is:

    a) Accept text/MIME/HTML message bodies, but deliver as text to subscribers
    & archives.

    b) /dev/null the attachments, both in delivery and archives.

    filter_content - Yes
    filter_mime_types - empty
    pass_mime_types -
    multipart
    message/rfc822 (allows plain text and converted HTML from attached
    messages. Remove to filter attached messages)
    text/plain
    text/html
    filter_filename_extensions -
    exe bat cmd com pif scr vbs cpl
    (these are defaults - this setting doesn't exist in 2.1.3)
    pass_filename_extensions - empty; default; this setting doesn't exist
    in 2.1.3)
    collapse_alternatives - Yes (this setting doesn't exist in 2.1.3)
    convert_html_to_plaintext - Yes

  • Yahoo at Jan 4, 2011 at 2:28 am

    I've been reading the FAQ's etc and asking local advice; but I must be
    doing something stoopid.

    MM2.1.3 under Linux, 2.6.18-164.el5

    2.1.3? This is quite old. Current is 2.1.14.
    I'll ask the local maintainer to upgrade. Ooops, he says there's no RPM we
    can use {until we fix something else, I assume.}
[...]

    Err, I see all those in our 2.1.3...

    (I've been helped by Brad who has pointed out some issues I need to better
    understand.)

    Thank you.

    I'll add a comment. FAQ 1.8 is confusing because it does not make it clear
    what comments relate to 2.0, and what to 2.1.

    Further, it's discussing both HTML & MIME issues.
  • Mark Sapiro at Jan 4, 2011 at 3:34 am

    message/rfc822 (allows plain text and converted HTML from attached
    messages. Remove to filter attached messages)
    text/plain
    text/html
    filter_filename_extensions -
    exe bat cmd com pif scr vbs cpl
    (these are defaults - this setting doesn't exist in 2.1.3)
    pass_filename_extensions - empty; default; this setting doesn't exist
    in 2.1.3)
    collapse_alternatives - Yes (this setting doesn't exist in 2.1.3)
    convert_html_to_plaintext - Yes
    Err, I see all those in our 2.1.3...

    Then it's not 2.1.3 because the *_filename_extensions settings didn't
    appear until 2.1.6 and collapse_alternatives first appeared in 2.1.7.

    Maybe it's 2.1.13? Or maybe it's 2.1.9 which is the RedHat el5 RPM version.
    I'll add a comment. FAQ 1.8 is confusing because it does not make it
    clear what comments relate to 2.0, and what to 2.1.

    Further, it's discussing both HTML & MIME issues.

    Agreed.

  • Yahoo at Jan 4, 2011 at 3:58 am

    Maybe it's 2.1.13? Or maybe it's 2.1.9 which is the RedHat el5 RPM version.

    My bad; that it is...
    I'll add a comment. FAQ 1.8 is confusing because it does not make it
    clear what comments relate to 2.0, and what to 2.1.

    Further, it's discussing both HTML& MIME issues.
    Agreed.
  • Yahoo at Jan 11, 2011 at 6:40 am
    v 2.1.9
    b) /dev/null the attachments, both in delivery and archives.

    filter_content - Yes
    filter_mime_types - empty
    pass_mime_types -
    multipart
    message/rfc822 (allows plain text and converted HTML from attached
    messages. Remove to filter attached messages)
    text/plain
    text/html
    filter_filename_extensions -
    exe bat cmd com pif scr vbs cpl
    (these are defaults - this setting doesn't exist in 2.1.3)
    pass_filename_extensions - empty; default; this setting doesn't exist
    in 2.1.3)
    collapse_alternatives - Yes (this setting doesn't exist in 2.1.3)
    convert_html_to_plaintext - Yes

    How do I filter out the "Part 1.2" leftovers? These are ASCII and seem to
    be the sig divider, and the sig contents. They are left on messages
    relieved of other attachments.
  • Mark Sapiro at Jan 11, 2011 at 5:07 pm

    yahoo wrote:
    How do I filter out the "Part 1.2" leftovers? These are ASCII and seem to
    be the sig divider, and the sig contents. They are left on messages
    relieved of other attachments.

    If the final message delivered from the list is a multipart message
    with just two parts and those parts are a text/plain message body and
    the text/plain msg_footer, this is a bug which I recently discovered.
    I have attached a patch which will fix this. This will be fixed in
    Mailman 2.1.15.

    If the final message has any other structure, e.g. a text/html body and
    the text/plain msg_footer, see the FAQ at
    <http://wiki.list.org/x/84A9>.