Hi All,

I have a problem where users are listed on two separate lists, then
the same email is sent to both lists, and they get two copies.

For example, joe at test.com is on lists test1 at lists.test.com and
test2 at lists.test.com. Dan at test.com sends an email to both
test1 at lists.test.com and test2 at lists.test.com. So, joe at test.com get's
two copies of the same email, one from each list.

I know that the "nodupes" feature is only designed to stop duplicates
in the event that a user is specifically defined in the email. For
example, it works great when dan at test.com sends an email to
test1 at lists.test.com and CCs joe at test.com directly. Joe at test.com only
gets one copy.

But, I have users insisting that before I upgrade to the latest
version of Mailman, this also worked when users were on multiple lists.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Dave

Search Discussions

  • Jeff Grossman at Dec 21, 2010 at 9:23 pm

[...]

    You don't mention what version you are currently running. You want to use
    umbrella lists. You can read more about it at
    http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId@30540.

    Jeff
  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 21, 2010 at 9:41 pm

    David Cunningham wrote:
    For example, joe at test.com is on lists test1 at lists.test.com and
    test2 at lists.test.com. Dan at test.com sends an email to both
    test1 at lists.test.com and test2 at lists.test.com. So, joe at test.com get's
    two copies of the same email, one from each list.

    I know that the "nodupes" feature is only designed to stop duplicates
    in the event that a user is specifically defined in the email. For
    example, it works great when dan at test.com sends an email to
    test1 at lists.test.com and CCs joe at test.com directly. Joe at test.com only
    gets one copy.

    But, I have users insisting that before I upgrade to the latest
    version of Mailman, this also worked when users were on multiple lists.

    The nodupes feature works as you understand. It has never worked to
    avoid duplicate copies of cross-posted messages.

    Possibly there was some modification in the prior Mailman version that
    did this duplicate avoidance and was removed by the upgrade.

    Possibly you were using the regular_exclude_lists feature (under
    Non-digest options in the web admin interface) to avoid multiple
    copies of cross posts and some how in the process of upgrading this
    setting was changed.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedDec 20, '10 at 6:14p