I've been asked to restrict our group's Mailman list to showing only the
last six months of archives. Is there any way to remove archived messages
older than a certain date and reflect that removal in the archive header's
"index.html" file?

Thanks,
Rick

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 10, 2010 at 4:53 am

    Rick Morrison wrote:
    I've been asked to restrict our group's Mailman list to showing only the
    last six months of archives. Is there any way to remove archived messages
    older than a certain date and reflect that removal in the archive header's
    "index.html" file?

    Edit the archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox file to remove
    all the older messages. If you don't care about keeping the older
    messages at all, just edit the file in place and then run Mailman's

    bin/arch --wipe listname

    to rebuild the archive. If you do want to keep the old messages, There
    are multiple ways to proceed. I suggest keeping
    archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox as the full archive and
    saving the pruned file as say
    archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox.recent and then
    rebuilding the archive with

    bin/arch --wipe listname
    archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox.recent

    (all on one line)

  • Rick Morrison at Jan 3, 2011 at 10:12 pm

    I've been asked to restrict our group's Mailman list to showing only the
    last six months of archives. Is there any way to remove archived messages
    older than a certain date and reflect that removal in the archive header's
    "index.html" file?

    Edit the archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox file to remove
    all the older messages. If you don't care about keeping the older
    messages at all, just edit the file in place and then run Mailman's

    bin/arch --wipe listname
    Thanks to both repliers - this worked well. I ended up using "archivemail" (
    http://archivemail.sourceforge.net/manpage.html) for the mbox handling and
    running the whole thing from a cron-launched Python script.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedDec 9, '10 at 9:45p
activeJan 3, '11 at 10:12p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Rick Morrison: 2 posts Mark Sapiro: 1 post