I am interested in counting the number of times a phrase has occurred
on a mailing list in a given time period. For example, I want to know
how many times the word "example" occurred from 2008 - 2009. Is it
possible to do this?

Thanks,

David

Search Discussions

  • Ralf Hildebrandt at Dec 1, 2010 at 3:40 pm

    * David Doria <daviddoria at gmail.com>:

    I am interested in counting the number of times a phrase has occurred
    on a mailing list in a given time period. For example, I want to know
    how many times the word "example" occurred from 2008 - 2009. Is it
    possible to do this?
    You could analyse the archives for that. Usually, the archives are
    stored as an mbox. So use your favourite tools on that

    --
    Ralf Hildebrandt
    Gesch?ftsbereich IT | Abteilung Netzwerk

    You could analyse the archives for that. Usually, the archives are
    stored as an mbox. So use your favourite tools on that

    --
    Ralf Hildebrandt
    Hi Ralf,

    Is it possible to download the entire archive as one file?
    I see that they are broken down into months:
    http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/

    Thanks,

    David
  • Ralf Hildebrandt at Dec 1, 2010 at 3:46 pm

    * David Doria <daviddoria at gmail.com>:

    Is it possible to download the entire archive as one file?
    I see that they are broken down into months:
    http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/
    wget is your friend.

    wget -r -l1 --no-parent-nd -A.txt.gz http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/
    or something like that

    --
    Ralf Hildebrandt
    Gesch?ftsbereich IT | Abteilung Netzwerk
    Charit? - Universit?tsmedizin Berlin
    Campus Benjamin Franklin
    Hindenburgdamm 30 | D-12203 Berlin
    Tel. +49 30 450 570 155 | Fax: +49 30 450 570 962
    ralf.hildebrandt at charite.de | http://www.charite.de
  • Ralf Hildebrandt at Dec 1, 2010 at 3:50 pm

    * Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de>:
    * David Doria <daviddoria at gmail.com>:
    Is it possible to download the entire archive as one file?
    I see that they are broken down into months:
    http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/
    wget is your friend.

    wget -r -l1 --no-parent-nd -A.txt.gz http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/
    or something like that
    wget -r -l1 --no-parent -nd -A.txt.gz http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/
    sorry.

    --
    Ralf Hildebrandt
    Gesch?ftsbereich IT | Abteilung Netzwerk
    Charit? - Universit?tsmedizin Berlin
    Campus Benjamin Franklin
    Hindenburgdamm 30 | D-12203 Berlin
    Tel. +49 30 450 570 155 | Fax: +49 30 450 570 962
    ralf.hildebrandt at charite.de | http://www.charite.de
  • Andrew Hodgson at Dec 1, 2010 at 3:49 pm
    Is it possible to download the entire archive as one file?
    I see that they are broken down into months:
    http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/
    To get the .mbox file directly you will need to access the server and download the file as a privileged user. It may be quite large due to the size of the archive.

    Alternatively you could use a crawl tool on the archives page like Wget or similar if you don't have access to the host.

    Thanks.
    Andrew.
  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 1, 2010 at 4:04 pm

    Andrew Hodgson wrote:
    David Doria wrote:
    Is it possible to download the entire archive as one file?
    I see that they are broken down into months:
    http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/
    To get the .mbox file directly you will need to access the server and download the file as a privileged user. It may be quite large due to the size of the archive.

    You don't need shell/privileged access to the server to get the archive
    mbox. You just need to be a list member.

    Authenticate for private archive access by going to a URL like
    <http://www.vtk.org/mailman/private/vtkusers/> and logging in. Then
    get <http://www.vtk.org/mailman/private/vtkusers.mbox/vtkusers.mbox>.

  • Andrew Hodgson at Dec 1, 2010 at 4:10 pm
    Is it possible to download the entire archive as one file?
    I see that they are broken down into months:
    http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/
    To get the .mbox file directly you will need to access the server and download the file as a privileged user. It may be quite large due to the >size of the archive.
    You don't need shell/privileged access to the server to get the archive mbox. You just need to be a list member.
    Authenticate for private archive access by going to a URL like <http://www.vtk.org/mailman/private/vtkusers/> and logging in. Then get ><http://www.vtk.org/mailman/private/vtkusers.mbox/vtkusers.mbox>.
    Ah, didn't realise that was possible, disregard my previous message on this subject. Authentication was the key point.

    Andrew.
  • Adam McGreggor at Dec 1, 2010 at 3:56 pm