I have a Virtual Alias error problem on my Mac running OSX Server 10.4.6. I
realize that is not a completely typical Mailman install, but I think the
problem is Postfix to Mailman related ? more on the Postfix side.

I have a Mailman list working (for months) ... discuss at
lists.MLDfamily.org. I've just created a new list ... discuss-adults at
lists.MLDfamily.org. The web interface works fine for the new list and it
shows lists.MLDfamily.org as its host_name.
http://lists.mldfamily.org/mailman/admin/discuss-adults

Both lists show up when I run the following command:
/usr/share/mailman/bin/list_lists -V lists.MLDfamily.org

But deliveries to the Postfix mail server nets me this error on my local
server (i.e. the email is making it fine to my server):
Nov 28 11:44:11 darcee postfix/smtpd11450 <http://discussions.apple.com/> :
NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mail-pv0-f170.google.comhttp://74.125.83.170: 550
5.1.1 <discuss-adults at lists.mldfamily.org>: Recipient address rejected: User
unknown in virtual alias table; from=<deansuhr at deansuhr.us>
to=<discuss-adults at lists.mldfamily.org> proto=ESMTP
helo=<mail-pv0-f170.google.com>

Deliveries to the initial discuss list at this virtual domain continue to
work but discuss-adults give the virtual alias table error.

What do I need to do to get this new list into the virtual domain table? I
am thinking I am overlooking the obvious - your help is appreciated.

I will respond with more config info if it?s necessary.

Thanks in advance, Dean

--

FWIW, this is the process I used to create the list:
(did not need to create the virtual domain since it already existed)
Stopped the mail server using server admin
sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/rmlist -a discuss-adults (to remove all residual
old list stuff)
sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/newlist discuss-adults
sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/list_lists new list showed up
sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/list_lists -V lists.MLDfamily.org new list did
not show up
sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/withlist -l -r fix_url discuss-adults -u
lists.MLDfamily.org
sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/list_lists -V lists.MLDfamily.org new list now
shows up at the proper virtual domain
sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/genaliases
sudo postfix reload failed since mail server was stopped
started mail server using server admin

To confirm the updates of the virtual alias table I did the following:
ls -l /var/mailman/data aliases, aliases.db, virtual-mailman, &
virtual-mailman.db all were time stamped the last few minutes
Looking inside aliases and virtual-mailman conformed the proper entries.
Aliases and virtual-mailman both contained the following stanzas (in
addition to others):

~~
# STANZA START: discuss
# CREATED: Sun Nov 28 11:39:09 2010
discuss: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman post discuss"
discuss-admin: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman admin discuss"
discuss-bounces: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman bounces discuss"
discuss-confirm: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman confirm discuss"
discuss-join: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman join discuss"
discuss-leave: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman leave discuss"
discuss-owner: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman owner discuss"
discuss-request: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman request discuss"
discuss-subscribe: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe discuss"
discuss-unsubscribe: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe discuss"
# STANZA END: discuss
~~
# STANZA START: discuss-adults
# CREATED: Sun Nov 28 11:39:10 2010
discuss-adults: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman post
discuss-adults"
discuss-adults-admin: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman admin
discuss-adults"
discuss-adults-bounces: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman bounces
discuss-adults"
discuss-adults-confirm: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman confirm
discuss-adults"
discuss-adults-join: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman join
discuss-adults"
discuss-adults-leave: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman leave
discuss-adults"
discuss-adults-owner: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman owner
discuss-adults"
discuss-adults-request: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman request
discuss-adults"
discuss-adults-subscribe: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe
discuss-adults"
discuss-adults-unsubscribe: "|/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe
discuss-adults"
# STANZA END: discuss-adults

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 29, 2010 at 4:15 pm

    Dean Suhr wrote:
[...]

    It isn't necessary to stop the Postfix or Mailman

    sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/rmlist -a discuss-adults (to remove all residual
    old list stuff)
    sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/newlist discuss-adults

    which creates the list in the DEFAULT_URL_HOST domain.

    sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/list_lists new list showed up
    sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/list_lists -V lists.MLDfamily.org new list did
    not show up

    This creates the list in the DEFAULT_URL_HOST domain

    sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/withlist -l -r fix_url discuss-adults -u
    lists.MLDfamily.org
    sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/list_lists -V lists.MLDfamily.org new list now
    shows up at the proper virtual domain

    and fix_url "fixed" it , but didn't update virtual-mailman.

    sudo /usr/share/mailman/bin/genaliases

    but the above did, but the fix_url and genaliases could have been
    avoided by just specifying '-u lists.mldfamily.org' to newlist.

    sudo postfix reload failed since mail server was stopped
    started mail server using server admin

    It is not necessary to stop/start or reload Postfix when you make table
    changes. This is only needed if you make configuration changes such as
    changing main.cf or master.cf.

    To confirm the updates of the virtual alias table I did the following:
    ls -l /var/mailman/data aliases, aliases.db, virtual-mailman, &
    virtual-mailman.db all were time stamped the last few minutes
    Looking inside aliases and virtual-mailman conformed the proper entries.

    You show the aliases. The virtual-mailman entries should be different.
    E.g., entries like

    discuss at lists.mldfamily.org discuss
    discuss-admin at lists.mldfamily.org discuss-admin
    etc., and

    discuss-adults at lists.mldfamily.org discuss-adults
    discuss-admin-adults at lists.mldfamily.org discuss-admin-adults
    etc.

    Are all the entries in virtual-mailman? if not, there may be case
    sensitivity issues if the values in POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS are
    not all lower case.

    If the entries for the discuss-adults list are in virtual-mailman,
    please post the output from

    sudo postconf -n

[...]

  • Dean Suhr at Nov 30, 2010 at 1:45 am
    First, please excuse me if my original post from yesterday posted several
    times. It appears Google sees my outgoing message as the same ID as the
    returned list message and silently discards the incoming list message making
    me thing it was never sent out ... and they have no config option to change
    this behavior. Arghhh!

    Mark - thank you for your detailed response. I must confess the obvious. I
    re-examined virtual-mailman and aliases files. To my surprise the alias
    entries were not in the virtual-mailman file - I could have sworn I checked
    that carefully - but my lack of efficiency wit the command line must have
    caught up with me. I manually created the entries in virtual-mailman and the
    list is now functioning (delivering) properly.

    Will I always have to manually post entries into virtual-mailman or is that
    supposed to happen somewhere along the way? Is there a terminal command
    line I missed or could have run in addition to cause this to happen
    automatically?

    Thanks again - Dean
[...]

  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 30, 2010 at 2:28 am

    Dean Suhr wrote:
    First, please excuse me if my original post from yesterday posted several
    times. It appears Google sees my outgoing message as the same ID as the
    returned list message and silently discards the incoming list message making
    me thing it was never sent out ... and they have no config option to change
    this behavior. Arghhh!

    While all that is correct vis a vis Google, that wasn't the issue here.
    Your posts were held for moderation because you were a new list
    member. Your mod flag has now been cleared and your posts will now go
    directly to the list. If you want to confirm that your post has been
    received even though Google doesn't show you your post as received
    from the list, you can check the archives at
    <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/> or you can set your
    list option "Receive acknowledgement mail when you send mail to the
    list?" to Yes.

    [...]
    Will I always have to manually post entries into virtual-mailman or is that
    supposed to happen somewhere along the way? Is there a terminal command
    line I missed or could have run in addition to cause this to happen
    automatically?

    It should happen automatically. I suspect it didn't in your case
    because of certain case-sensitivities which are really bugs. If you
    make all your domain names in mm_cfg.py, i.e. DEFAULT_URL_HOST,
    DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST, additional domains in add_virtualhost() and
    domains in POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS, all lower case and use all
    lower case in -u options to newlist or fix_url. Everything should work.

    The underlying bug is that domains in add_virtualhost() directives are
    lower-cased by Mailman but are matched case-sensitively to
    POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS so if the POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS
    domains are mixed or upper case, they don't match.

    If you make everything lower case and run fix_url with a lower case -u
    domain and then run genaliases, you should be OK.

    Note that manually editing virtual-mailman is unsafe because if
    genaliases is ever run, your changes will be lost.

  • Dean Suhr at Nov 30, 2010 at 11:28 pm
    <snipped>
    [...]
[...]

    Thanks again Mark.

    Yes, I contributed to the problem because I like to use MLDfamily (mixed
    case) in the user viewable emails and tend to follow that behind the scenes.

    Right now I have manually entered the aliases into virtual-mailman. You
    indicated this could be a problem with the next run of genaliases.

    The original list and the new one are both at lists.MLDfamily.org. (note
    CAPS).

    I ran genaliases and the list remained intact with entries updated in
    virtual-mailman. Should I stand down and assume my rickety path to
    functionality will hold up - or should I delete the list and start over?

    If I start over I would not want to upset the apple cart on the original
    list at lists.MLDfamily.org so I would use that mixed case virtual host for
    the re-creation of the new list.

    I promise if I ever add any new virtual domains everything will be lower
    case!

    Thanks, Dean

    --
    Dean Suhr
    President

    1+503-656-4808 or 1-800-617-8387

    Complete MLD information at: www.MLDfoundation.org

    Celebrating our tenth year of serving families!

    Please watch this awareness video and pass it along:
    http://mldfoundation.org/awareness-video.html
  • Mark Sapiro at Dec 1, 2010 at 12:51 am

    Dean Suhr wrote:
    Yes, I contributed to the problem because I like to use MLDfamily (mixed
    case) in the user viewable emails and tend to follow that behind the scenes.

    Right now I have manually entered the aliases into virtual-mailman. You
    indicated this could be a problem with the next run of genaliases.

    Yes, because genaliases will remove all entries from aliases and
    virtual-mailman and then rebuild aliases for all lists and
    virtual-mailman for only those lists whose host_name is found in
    POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS.

    The above is the key here. If your domains are mixed case in
    add_virtualhost() and POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS, creating the list
    and possibly running fix_url will produce a list with its host_name
    attribute lower cased which will not match
    POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS and thus will not create virtual-mailman
    entries.

    If however you then manually change host_name on the list admin General
    Options page (or via config_list) to match the case of the domain in
    POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS and run genaliases, that will create the
    virtual-mailman entries.
    The original list and the new one are both at lists.MLDfamily.org. (note
    CAPS).

    I ran genaliases and the list remained intact with entries updated in
    virtual-mailman. Should I stand down and assume my rickety path to
    functionality will hold up - or should I delete the list and start over?

    Presumably, you did what I suggest above, i.e., change the case of the
    list's host_name before running genaliases.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedNov 28, '10 at 8:52p
activeDec 1, '10 at 12:51a