Greetings.

I'm installing mailman 2.1.14 onto an Ubuntu server that previously had
mailman 2.1.13 installed, and it looks like the 2.1.13 install left some
virtual domain artifacts behind, namely:

/etc/postfix/transport, containing:

[my system's hostname] mailman:

... and the usual postifix transport lines in master.cf:

mailman unix - n n - - pipe
flags=FR user=list argv=/usr/local/mailman/bin/postfix-to-mailman.py
${nexthop} ${user}

I currently have no need for virtual domains, but was wondering:

- Is there any advantage besides being able to trivially enable virtual
domains, to maintaining a separate transport for mailman?

- What is the default transport that should be used by mailman 2.1.14 if
no virtual domains are needed -- smtp?

Thanks.

--
Richard Haas <rhaas at rhaas.us>
GnuPG public key ID: 1CB7F0E2

  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 23, 2010 at 1:10 am

    Richard Haas wrote:
    I'm installing mailman 2.1.14 onto an Ubuntu server that previously had
    mailman 2.1.13 installed, and it looks like the 2.1.13 install left some
    virtual domain artifacts behind, namely:

    /etc/postfix/transport, containing:

    [my system's hostname] mailman:

    ... and the usual postifix transport lines in master.cf:

    mailman unix - n n - - pipe
    flags=FR user=list argv=/usr/local/mailman/bin/postfix-to-mailman.py
    ${nexthop} ${user}

    I currently have no need for virtual domains, but was wondering:

    - Is there any advantage besides being able to trivially enable virtual
    domains, to maintaining a separate transport for mailman?

    postfix_to_mailman.py
    <http://www.gurulabs.com/downloads/postfix-to-mailman-2.1.py> is a
    third party script officially unsupported by the GNU Mailman project.
    It is used by Debian/Ubuntu and they may or may not provide support
    for its use.

    It isn't virtual domain support per se. It is designed to be used where
    all Mailman lists on a server are in a single domain (often
    lists.example.com) that has few if any local user addresses.

    - What is the default transport that should be used by mailman 2.1.14 if
    no virtual domains are needed -- smtp?

    Postfix local delivery together with aliases, the generation of which
    can be automated. See
    <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/postfix-integration.html>.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedNov 22, '10 at 2:58p
activeNov 23, '10 at 1:10a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Richard Haas: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post