Assembled Wisdom!

I am big fan of mailman and admin three E-lists managed by
mailman. These lists are hosted on remote computers.

I am now having the problem: I wish to back up the list of
members of a couple of my lists to my home machine. I used to
get all the members on one page. Now the members are alphabetized
and each initial letter is put on a diffent page. I can still
back-up, but it is a laborious process.

Is there a command to exhibit all members on one page? or, better
yet, is there a command an administrator can invoke to have the
members, if possible with their flags, shipped to my home computer?

TIA for anticipated help!

Alan McConnell

--
Alan McConnell : http://patriot.net/users/alan
When the ax came into the woods, the trees all said: "Well, at least

Search Discussions

  • Frank Van Damme at Nov 16, 2010 at 8:08 am

    I am big fan of mailman and admin three E-lists managed by
    mailman. ?These lists are hosted on remote computers.

    I am now having the problem: I wish to back up the list of
    members of a couple of my lists to my home machine. ?I used to
    get all the members on one page. ?Now the members are alphabetized
    and each initial letter is put on a diffent page. ?I can still
    back-up, but it is a laborious process.

    Is there a command to exhibit all members on one page? ?or, better
    yet, is there a command an administrator can invoke to have the
    members, if possible with their flags, shipped to my home computer?

    TIA for anticipated help!
    /usr/lib/mailman/bin/list_members <listname>
    you can also use "list_lists --bare" to enumerate the lists

    --
    Frank Van Damme
    No part of this copyright message may be reproduced, read or seen,
    I am now having the problem: I wish to back up the list of
    members of a couple of my lists to my home machine. I used to
    get all the members on one page. Now the members are alphabetized
    and each initial letter is put on a diffent page. I can still
    back-up, but it is a laborious process.
    As list admin you can set
    "General Options" --> "admin_member_chunksize"
    to a value bigger than the number of currently subscribed members.
    With that you get the old behaviour back with all members on one page
    instead of split into seperate alphabetized chunks.

    With this you don't need access to the console.

    Kind regards,
    Christian Mack
  • Malcolm Austen at Nov 16, 2010 at 9:39 am

    I am now having the problem: I wish to back up the list of
    members of a couple of my lists to my home machine. I used to
    get all the members on one page. Now the members are alphabetized
    and each initial letter is put on a diffent page. I can still
    back-up, but it is a laborious process.
    As list admin you can set
    "General Options" --> "admin_member_chunksize"
    to a value bigger than the number of currently subscribed members.
    With that you get the old behaviour back with all members on one page
    instead of split into seperate alphabetized chunks.

    With this you don't need access to the console.
    A trick I've used on a hosted mailman that has not been updated to have
    the chunk-size option (it's 2.1.9), is to save the list-admin's subscriber
    list page at <../mailman/roster/list-name>. This is in two columns
    (message and digest) and has extra parentheses where delivery is disabled,
    and the addresses are obfuscated ... but nothing that cannot be unravelled
    with a few lines of Perl ;-)

    regards, Malcolm.

    --
    Malcolm Austen, Oxfordshire, England
  • Ulf Dunkel at Nov 16, 2010 at 10:58 am
    Is there a command to exhibit all members on one page? or, better
    yet, is there a command an administrator can invoke to have the
    members, if possible with their flags, shipped to my home computer?
    I guess I would do a simple admin request email for the lists every now
    and then, something in the format:

    To: <YourListName>_request@<your.domain>
    Subject: who <YourListPassword>

    This sends an email to your account with a list of all currently stored
    members of the list.

    ---HTH,
    ---UlfDunkel
  • Malcolm Austen at Nov 16, 2010 at 11:42 am