Hi all,

Ok, I have dealt with several Mailman lists in the past, however, all have been relatively small number of subscribers (around 60 subscribers being the limit, with around 2-3 messages per day).

However, I have now taken on a list of around 350 subscribers receiving around 10-20 posts a day, and wonder what the most efficient way is to send the messages?

I am currently using the default of Mailman sending out the message to the MTA (default Debian Exim on localhost) as one message with lots of recipients.

Is it best to fan out these deliveries into more than one message by changing SMTP_MAX_RCPTS and using more than one connection by changing SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION?
Any other suggestions?

It has gone well so far, the only issue being initially blocked by Yahoo mail servers, however, I am dealing with this separately.

Thanks.
Andrew.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 11, 2010 at 12:15 am

    Andrew Hodgson wrote:
    I am currently using the default of Mailman sending out the message to the MTA (default Debian Exim on localhost) as one message with lots of recipients.

    Is it best to fan out these deliveries into more than one message by changing SMTP_MAX_RCPTS and using more than one connection by changing SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION?

    Lowering SMTP_MAX_RCPTS and/or limiting
    SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION will generally not improve
    performance.

    All that is done by setting SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION to a
    non-zero value is to tell Mailman to close and reopen the SMTP
    commection to the MTA after that number of transactions. This is to
    accommodate MTAs that limit the number of transactions in a single
    session.

    Likewise, lowering SMTP_MAX_RCPTS only tells Mailman to send more
    messages with fewer recipients per message. It doesn't add any
    parallelism to Mailman, although it may enable additional parallelism
    in the MTA.

    With current Mailman, there is no way to add parallelism to the
    delivery of a single post from Mailman to the MTA.
    Any other suggestions?

    It has gone well so far, the only issue being initially blocked by Yahoo mail servers, however, I am dealing with this separately.

    If you ultimately need to introduce parallelism in order to keep
    OutgoingRunner and Mailman's out/ queue from becoming backlogged with
    multiple messages, you can "slice" the out queue into segments
    processed by separate runners. See the section headed

    #####
    # Qrunner defaults
    #####

    in Defaults.py for information.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedNov 10, '10 at 6:17p
activeNov 11, '10 at 12:15a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Andrew Hodgson: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post