We are using Mailman 2.1.9. I'd like to be able to strip potentially
dangerous attachments, exe, bat, scr and the like, while leaving
virtually everything else about the message intact so that readers see
the messages as the composers intended them, often in html with inline
graphics and so forth. No combination of settings I have tried seems
to accomplish this. What content filtering settings would you
recommend?

Thanks so much,

John

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 11, 2010 at 12:58 am

    BBands wrote:
    We are using Mailman 2.1.9. I'd like to be able to strip potentially
    dangerous attachments, exe, bat, scr and the like, while leaving
    virtually everything else about the message intact so that readers see
    the messages as the composers intended them, often in html with inline
    graphics and so forth. No combination of settings I have tried seems
    to accomplish this. What content filtering settings would you
    recommend?

    If you want to filter only based on attachment file name extension, set

    filter_content = Yes

    filter_mime_types Empty

    pass_mime_types Empty

    filter_filename_extensions
    exe
    bat
    cmd
    com
    pif
    scr
    vbs
    cpl

    (or what ever list you want)

    pass_filename_extensions Empty

    collapse_alternatives = No

    convert_html_to_plaintext = No

    filter_action As desired for messages that consist entirely of parts
    with file names with the unwanted extension (it is not likely there
    will be such messages and almost all messages have a text body with no
    filename).

  • BBands at Nov 11, 2010 at 3:52 pm