I am trying to set up redundant/parallel mailman servers. In order to
accomplish this, I will have 3 servers which run mailman on them. One
server at a time will be determined to be the "admin" point. However,
all three will enable distributing email to the pertinent lists.
Obviously, archival of the mail to the lists is not enabled or supported.

ADMINSERVER -> points to one of SERVERA, SERVERB or SERVERC
Email to the lists gets sent to any of SERVERA, SERVERB or SERVERC (MX
distributes to all 3 servers).
Configurations from ADMINSERVER are to be sync'd to the other 2 servers.

The problem I am running into is that when I duplicate the lists to the
other servers, the lists which are "advertised" on the current admin
server do not show up as advertised. However, config_list shows the
lists as advertised. I am duplicating the following files across the
servers:

/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
/var/lib/mailman/lists/*

What am I missing such that /mailman/admin will display the same set of
advertised lists?

Thanks,
John

Search Discussions

  • Ivan Fetch at Nov 10, 2010 at 8:36 pm
    Hi John,

[...]

    I wonder if this could be the host_name option for the mailing lists, vs. DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and DEFAULT_URL_HOST on your two other Mailman servers? In other words, a difference between the Mailman configured email and web server hostnames, among your 3 servers.

    - Ivan
  • Chris Tandiono at Nov 10, 2010 at 11:23 pm

    I wonder if this could be the host_name option for the mailing lists,
    vs. DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and DEFAULT_URL_HOST on your two other Mailman
    servers? In other words, a difference between the Mailman configured
    email and web server hostnames, among your 3 servers.

    - Ivan
    Dunno if this is relevant, but yesterday I had a similar problem after
    putting Mailman behind a reverse proxy that only uses HTTP/1.0 without the
    Host header to connect to the upstream server. Mailman would complain that
    there were no lists on localhost and to contact mailman at localhost for
    help. The solution was to set the host header manually (ProxyPreserveHost
    for Apache, proxy_set_header Host $host for nginx, etc.).

    --
    Chris
  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 11, 2010 at 12:22 am

    John Wingenbach wrote:
    The problem I am running into is that when I duplicate the lists to the
    other servers, the lists which are "advertised" on the current admin
    server do not show up as advertised. However, config_list shows the
    lists as advertised. I am duplicating the following files across the
    servers:

    /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
    /var/lib/mailman/lists/*

    What am I missing such that /mailman/admin will display the same set of
    advertised lists?

    See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/lYA9>.

    Because each of your servers has a different web host name, only one
    server's name will match the host name in the list's web_page_url
    attribute and only that server will display the lists.

    The easiest fix is to set

    VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off

    in mm_cfg.py. Then the host names don't need to match. The more
    elaborate fix is to make sure that each hosts DEFAULT_URL_HOST is set
    appropriately in it's mm_cfg.py and run fix_url after copying
    lists/*/config.pck.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedNov 9, '10 at 6:55p