Or, is there something else that causes the generation of seemingly
random unsubscribe confirmation messages?

Dave

David Andrews: dandrews at visi.com
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/dandrews920

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Nov 4, 2010 at 1:48 am

    David Andrews wrote:
    I run mailman with about 175 lists, and 6000 users, many of whom
    belong to multiple lists. I have personalized e-mail set to yes, and
    the following in the footer which produces a personal options link
    for the user in each message:

    %(real_name)s:
    %(user_optionsurl)s

    Several times a week I get mail from a user saying they got an
    unsubscribe confirmation message and hadn't done anything to trigger
    it. I believe them because I have gotten some too. This behavior
    seems to have started when I started adding personalized footers. Is
    it somehow caused by the long string of personalized links left in
    messages when people reply and don't trim off bottom. Some of these
    message chains can get pretty long.

    It is almost certainly this.

    Or, is there something else that causes the generation of seemingly
    random unsubscribe confirmation messages?

    Or maybe the member forwarding an "interesting" list post to someone
    else who thinks the forward came from a list and wants to unsubscribe.

    In any case, it is caused by a third party receiving a message with the
    member's unsubscribe link and following the link. Members can avoid
    this by always removing the footer from any list post they reply to or
    forward, or if they can't be bothered to do that, they can just ignore
    the unsubscribe confirmations they will inevitably receive.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedNov 4, '10 at 1:23a
activeNov 4, '10 at 1:48a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

David Andrews: 1 post Mark Sapiro: 1 post