Hello,

While we testing the password reminder feature, we discover that a user asking for password reminder from a specific list that s/he isn't a member of that list, s/he still receives the message "A reminder of your password has been emailed to you." Is this an expected behavior?

Thank you very much for the advice.

Search Discussions

  • Odhiambo Washington at Oct 18, 2010 at 9:34 am

    While we testing the password reminder feature, we discover that a user
    asking for password reminder from a specific list that s/he isn't a member
    of that list, s/he still receives the message "A reminder of your password
    has been emailed to you." Is this an expected behavior?

    Well, do they get any e-mail at all, and worse still, containing a
    password? It would worry me if they did.
    From what I know, a password will only be sent to a validly subscribed
    address.

    --
    Best regards,
    Odhiambo WASHINGTON,

    Hung Phan wrote:
    While we testing the password reminder feature, we discover that a user asking for password reminder from a specific list that s/he isn't a member of that list, s/he still receives the message "A reminder of your password has been emailed to you." Is this an expected behavior?

    If the list's Privacy options... -> Subscription rules ->
    private_roster attribute is set to Anyone (i.e. if the list membership
    roster is public), a non-member requesting a reminder will be told "No
    such member". Otherwise, the user gets the same message whether or not
    she is a member to prevent using the reminder request to "fish" for
    list membership.

    On the "never to be released" branch at
    <https://code.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.2>, the message
    is changed to "If you are a list member, your password has been
    emailed to you.", but it has not been changed on the 2.1 branch for
    i18n reasons.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedOct 18, '10 at 6:31a