My wife is trying to set up a list for a small group of mainly Hebrew speakers.
We've configured it to make the Hebrew locale available, and this seems to
work. (Apparently my wife doesn't think much of the Hebrew translation, but
that's another issue)

The problem is that when she tried entering in Hebrew descriptions and welcome
messages, she got text like this:

קבוצת
עבודה וניהול
- כלבי נחייה.

I'm guessing this is an issue with dealing with UTF8 characters being typed
into the Mailman form.

Is there anything I can do about this, or is this a Mailman or browser bug?

Browser is IE8. Mailman is 2.1.11 running on Debian 5.0.

NOte that the default list language was set to English, if that makes any
difference. Would the default language need to be set to Hebrew to make these
fields input correctly when the form is submitted?

Thanks,
Geoff.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 17, 2010 at 4:58 pm

    Geoff Shang wrote:
    The problem is that when she tried entering in Hebrew descriptions and welcome
    messages, she got text like this:

    קבוצת
    עבודה וניהול
    - כלבי נחייה.

    I'm guessing this is an issue with dealing with UTF8 characters being typed
    into the Mailman form.

    Is there anything I can do about this, or is this a Mailman or browser bug?

    Browser is IE8. Mailman is 2.1.11 running on Debian 5.0.

    NOte that the default list language was set to English, if that makes any
    difference. Would the default language need to be set to Hebrew to make these
    fields input correctly when the form is submitted?

    Either that or set the character set for English to UTF-8 if you/she
    has that ability. It requires putting

    add_language('en', 'English (USA)', 'utf-8', 'ltr')

    in mm_cfg.py and restarting Mailman.

    There is another possibility. In recent versions prior to 2.1.13, HTML
    entities like < or ק were escaped as < or ק
    for the web interface. If this is the issue, the underlying data are
    correct; they just display incorrectly in the web admin interface.

  • Geoff Shang at Aug 18, 2010 at 12:54 am

    The problem is that when she tried entering in Hebrew descriptions and welcome
    messages, she got text like this:

    &#1511;&#1489;&#1493;&#1510;&#1514;
    [snip]
    NOte that the default list language was set to English, if that makes any
    difference. Would the default language need to be set to Hebrew to make these
    fields input correctly when the form is submitted?

    Either that or set the character set for English to UTF-8 if you/she
    has that ability. It requires putting

    add_language('en', 'English (USA)', 'utf-8', 'ltr')

    in mm_cfg.py and restarting Mailman.
    I can do this, as I am an admin on the system where this is hosted.

    I see now that there are entries like this in Defaults.py. So the entry
    in mm_cfg.py will overwrite this as it's meant to.

    Maybe a stupid question, but why not have it utf-8 for all of them? I
    mean, isn't that the whole point of unicode, that it just works
    everywhere? Or does it need to match the character set of the
    messages/templates?
    There is another possibility. In recent versions prior to 2.1.13, HTML
    entities like &lt; or &#1511; were escaped as &amp;lt; or &amp;#1511;
    for the web interface. If this is the issue, the underlying data are
    correct; they just display incorrectly in the web admin interface.
    No, this was wrong in Email messages too. But the default English
    character set is US/ASCII so that's hardly surprising.

    All this has led me to look at I18N, as it's not an area I've looked at
    before in Mailman. And I've got a couple of questions:

    1. There's add_language lines for every supported language in
    Defaults.py, but only languages located in /etc/mailman/<languagecode> are
    actually available. Does Mailman check for them here or is there some
    other Mailman glue that says which languages are actually available for
    use?

    2. Further to this, I can only find the template files and not the
    messages file. Where should these be located on a Debian system?

    Thanks,
    Geoff.
  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 18, 2010 at 1:41 am

    Geoff Shang wrote:
    Maybe a stupid question, but why not have it utf-8 for all of them? I
    mean, isn't that the whole point of unicode, that it just works
    everywhere? Or does it need to match the character set of the
    messages/templates?

    Yes, it does need to match the character set of the messages and
    templates. It is still us-ascii for English just because of
    superstition. The character set for the translations is/was chosen by
    the translator, in many cases before unicode/utf-8 became generally
    accepted.

    All this has led me to look at I18N, as it's not an area I've looked at
    before in Mailman. And I've got a couple of questions:

    1. There's add_language lines for every supported language in
    Defaults.py, but only languages located in /etc/mailman/<languagecode> are
    actually available. Does Mailman check for them here or is there some
    other Mailman glue that says which languages are actually available for
    use?

    This is all Debian packaging, possibly based on never released upstream
    functionality for installing only selected languages.

    In standard Mailman 2.1.x, all supported languages are available. The
    message catalogs are in
    $prefix/messages/<lang-code>/LC-MESSAGES/mailman.(po|mo) and the
    templates are in $prefix/templates/<lang-code>/*

    2. Further to this, I can only find the template files and not the
    messages file. Where should these be located on a Debian system?

    Look in Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py for MESSAGES_DIR.

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedAug 17, '10 at 4:28p
activeAug 18, '10 at 1:41a
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Mark Sapiro: 2 posts Geoff Shang: 2 posts