I am running mailman on one machine which hosts several different
virtual hosts. However what I configured as the "mailman" virtual host
is "lists.myhost.com". Everything works fine (mail delivery, web site
url management) except for one thing: in the web admin url, it's
rewriting the links to "myhost.com/..." instead of "lists.myhost.com".
This is causing HTTP posts when doing some admin changes to fail as it's
hitting the "myhost.com" host instead of "lists.myhost.com".

in my mm_cfg.py:

# The name of the list Mailman uses to send password reminders
# and similar. Don't change if you want mailman-owner to be
# a valid local part.
MAILMAN_SITE_LIST = 'mailman'

#-------------------------------------------------------------
# If you change these, you have to configure your http server
# accordingly (Alias and ScriptAlias directives in most httpds)
#DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/cgi-bin/mailman/'
DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/'
PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL = '/cgi-bin/mailman/private'
IMAGE_LOGOS = '/images/mailman/'

#-------------------------------------------------------------
# Default domain for email addresses of newly created MLs
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'myhost.com'
#-------------------------------------------------------------
# Default host for web interface of newly created MLs
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.myhost.com'
#-------------------------------------------------------------
# Required when setting any of its arguments.

mailman virtual host file

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName lists.myhost.com
DocumentRoot /var/www/lists
ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/lists-error.log
CustomLog /var/log/apache2/lists-access.log combined

<Directory /var/lib/mailman/archives/>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
</Directory>

Alias /pipermail/ /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/
Alias /images/mailman/ /usr/share/images/mailman/
ScriptAlias /admin /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/admin
ScriptAlias /admindb /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/admindb
ScriptAlias /confirm /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/confirm
ScriptAlias /create /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/create
ScriptAlias /edithtml /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/edithtml
ScriptAlias /listinfo /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo
ScriptAlias /options /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/options
ScriptAlias /private /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/private
ScriptAlias /rmlist /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/rmlist
ScriptAlias /roster /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/roster
ScriptAlias /subscribe /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/subscribe
ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/
</VirtualHost>

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Aug 12, 2010 at 2:53 pm

    Allen Walker wrote:

[...]

    The above is correct. Run Mailman's

    bin/withlist -l -a -r fix_url

    to fix your existing lists. See the FAQ at
    <http://wiki.list.org/x/mIA9>.

[...]

  • Alessandro Bruchi at Oct 15, 2010 at 1:46 pm
    Does mailman 2.1.14 solve the virtual domain problem?
    In particular the ability to create:

    list at domain1
    list at domain2

    I read that the new version support virtual domains.
    Do you know when mailman 2.1.14 will be included as package in some debian distribution?

    Thank you
    Alessandro
  • Mark Sapiro at Oct 15, 2010 at 2:47 pm

    "Alessandro Bruchi" wrote:
    Does mailman 2.1.14 solve the virtual domain problem?
    In particular the ability to create:

    list at domain1
    list at domain2

    No.

    I read that the new version support virtual domains.

    That support is in MM 3. It is not yet ready for production use.

    Mark Sapiro - mark at msapiro.net
  • Adam McGreggor at Oct 20, 2010 at 12:53 pm