I have two umbrella lists. When a bounce gets received it doesn't do
anything because the users are not subscribed to the umbrella list. Is
there a way for me to set the umbrella lists up so all bounce messages
are forwarded to my e-mail so I can make sure the bad e-mail addresses
get removed?

I am running Mailman version 2.1.12.

Thanks,

Jeff

Search Discussions

  • Mark Sapiro at Jul 10, 2010 at 8:51 pm

    Jeff Grossman wrote:
    I have two umbrella lists. When a bounce gets received it doesn't do
    anything because the users are not subscribed to the umbrella list. Is
    there a way for me to set the umbrella lists up so all bounce messages
    are forwarded to my e-mail so I can make sure the bad e-mail addresses
    get removed?

    Are these traditional umbrella lists where the sub-lists are members of
    the umbrella, or are they 'regular include lists'?

    If the former, messages to the users should be coming from the
    sub-lists and bounces should be handled correctly.

    If the latter, the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/TIA9> which discusses
    this method points out that bounce processing doesn't work for
    sub-list members. As to what you can do about it, if you have access
    to the list's aliases, and if the 'umbrella' lists have no members,
    you can change the alias for the 'umbrella-bounces' list to deliver to
    you (or to 'umbrella-owner') so you can handle the bounces manually.

    The fact that the FAQ says "Note however, that currently (Mailman
    2.1.12) bounce processing won't work in this case ..." would seem to
    imply that I intended to make it work in some future release, and I
    may yet do so.

  • Jeff Grossman at Jul 11, 2010 at 2:49 pm

[...]

    Thank you Mark. It is the latter method and I have changed the aliases to
    point to my e-mail account. This should work out just fine for what I am
    after.

    Jeff

groupmailman-users @
categoriespython
postedJul 10, '10 at 8:01p
activeJul 11, '10 at 2:49p
websitelist.org

2 users in discussion

Jeff Grossman: 2 posts Mark Sapiro: 1 post